Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine is looking to buy a late 1949/50 6m alto- non-rth- in truly excellent shape and playing condition.
any idea on current values?

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
I usually try to find past sales on eBay for values.
I bought a 1953 6 M in decent condition with the original case a few years ago for $500. Great altos and I doubt the tone holes make in difference to a player.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
The prices quoted here are "finds" that you shouldn't expect to regularly pay. Anything south of $1,000 is a great buy for this great vintage alto. If it's freshly overhauled and super clean looking I'd say up to $1150 or $1200 for the right playing horn. I personally play on a 1933 Silver Conn 6M alto and it's a dream.

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Thank you for that, Saxaholic.

Yes, sometimes queries such as these produce responses/experiences which really are 'outliers'.

The first two replies...are 'outliers'. Steals, really. Do not get the idea that those are average market values.

A non-RTH Lady 6M as a PROJECT HORN generally goes for $400-500ish. To nab one in playing shape for under $700 is a stroke of luck.

Basically, in good playing condition with no significant nasties, I would say the bottom end of the range would be $800...the top end around $1200.

There's a nice RTH on eFlay right now, gonna end soon. I am a bit surprised it didn't go for its Buy Now. This one might be a nice take, it obviously ain't gonna go for $1200...seller says it has only 12 watchers (no... it isn't mine):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-19...h=item4b57044410:g:d8MAAOSw2bFb~UNT:rk:1:pf:0

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Thank you for that, Saxaholic.

The first two replies...are 'outliers'. Steals, really. Do not get the idea that those are average market values.
Yes, I totally agree. I felt like stealing candy from a baby and I told the seller but she insisted and even reimbursed me for the gas for driving 120 miles to look at the horn. She had a few "bargain hunters" come looking at it who were trying to barter and she showed them the door because she felt insulted.

Needless to say that one has a special place in my collection.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Hi Benny. I bought a 1947 6M from Ozwinds in Melbourne back in 2012. I was happy to pay the shop's price because it's one of the last 6Ms to have RTH and was in top condition. (I keep it that way: it's the best alto I've ever had my hands on.)

It cost me AU$1,900 — which is about US$1,370 today. Take off whatever you reckon is a fair thing for no RTH and add on SloMo's 10% if you're importing. You might get one without RTH in good shape locally for AU$1,500…

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
Prices are, as you can see, all over the place. In a shop they cost a minimum of €1500 to €2000 but from a private seller they may cost much less

·
Registered
71 Posts
Found an absolutely perfect 6m from the mid 30s a few months ago for seven with case so you never know what your gonna find if you know what your looking at.

I'll tell you this though, the 6m is the best horn i've ever played in my entire life

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found an absolutely perfect 6m from the mid 30s a few months ago for seven with case so you never know what your gonna find if you know what your looking at.

I'll tell you this though, the 6m is the best horn i've ever played in my entire life
Thanks. I'm not looking for myself, just evaluating a horn for a friend. I got to play it, great saxophone but my SML had more of everything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just purchased a '53 6M in what appears to be good condition on Ebay for $600. Waiting for it to arrive and see the real condition but got it from a shop that said their tech went thorugh and it plays great. Yes, I take that with a grain of salt but I think even if I have to put a couple hundred bucks into it I will still come out with a fair deal. I have a '29 New Wonder II alto and like it but always wanted a 6M. Can anyone tell me what to expect between the New Wonder and the 6M?

·
Registered
253 Posts
That is a good question. I played a 6m for only an hour or so one time and the keys felt, to me, a little tighter, and the horn seemed to weigh a little less. I guess that would be the next logical Conn alto choice for moving up from the NWll.
I'm sure you will love the change. Keep us posted.

·
18,000 Posts
They are really a redesign. The bow specs are different, the neck specs are different, the body tube is a bit different. The 6M has more 'edge' to the tone IMHO. There will be significant differences, and some similarities, between this and the Chu.
Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I can't tell you what a 6M is worth (other than "scour the internet" which you can figure out for yourself), as I bought mine in 1978 ($130 from Pete's Pawn and Music in Garland, Texas!) but I can tell you that it is the best alto saxophone ever made. For tone quality and flexibility; smoothness of action; ability to play any old mouthpiece on it; and intonation; nothing else equals it. My old beat up 6M still plays rings around anything else I have ever tried.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'd like opinions on this 1941 6M, similar to OP's request. I found it in a garage sale ad. The owner wants what I consider kind of top dollar for it -- I'd like to refrain from revealing his asking price to get people's opinions on what they think it should be worth. It's a pretty nice looking horn, claimed to be gig-ready, although its overhaul was 5-6 years ago and it's not been played since then. https://photos.app.goo.gl/H28RNK5oWddNpWmt8

If I kept it as a player, it'd be competing against a silver 1954 double S Mark VI, and a 1960 Mark VI. But it'd kind of go along with the 1947 10M I have, currently getting overhauled.

·
18,000 Posts
If there are no significant dents or dings, worth probably around $1200. It'd probably need a tech tweak, but not significant pad work/regulating given it was fairly recently overhauled....then again you would be able to tell that by testplaying it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well, $1200 is what he's asking. Kind of hard to tell a whole lot about it from the photos.
If it is as described, I think that is a decent price. That one is actually a 1946 based on the serial number. I think a lot of people look at the Conn brass instrument serial number list rather than the woodwind list and then come up with an earlier date. I picked up a similar condition 1939 Conn 6m that was advertised as a 1936 a few months ago. I paid more than that and am happy with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts