Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Conn lovers,

I have owned lots of Conns, but I have not systematically investigated neck options for the Metro horns.

Usually, I have seen Conn Metro stamped horns with a Metro stamped neck, but given that you could get basically any horn with any neck, I wonder if anyone has seen this before.
It's a very clean 6M with the metro stamp on the body and STD'd stamped on the neck. Anybody know if there's anything different about the Metro stamped bodies or the STD'D stamped necks compared to a regular 6M?

As far as I can tell, it looks like a normal 6M.

Thanks!
View attachment 26588 View attachment 26589 View attachment 26590 View attachment 26591 View attachment 26592

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
I had one of those before. I have never gotten resolution about that topic either. I had very nice one. The only models that I have seen that say metro are in the VIII serial number range. Its a super rare version, but I have no idea what the difference is.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,813 Posts
Heh!! Seems like there are other threads dealing with this basic issue ("metro" vs. STD'd, etc.). Congratulation, Notheedge, I think you may have managed, using hard evidence, to increase the confusion, because other than Raph above I don't think I've heard of a 6M with this particular mix of stamps!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,484 Posts
Didn't other 6Ms of the same period have a moveable thumbhook?

Could it be the "metro" was supposed to be a "simpler" 6m, with less to fuss about? It should then in theory not have a microtuner, but who knows....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
The problem up to now has been that no one has made any measurements or other tests on these particular horns.

It's been done with the Buescher New Aristocrats to some degree, but only because they're such prized classical instruments and the variations are fewer - neck stamps 01, **, 3 in a very limited serial range of #263k-268k (1931-'34).

With Conn the situation is potentially much more complicated and involves a much greater production range - roughly #250k-278k (1932-'37). I'll have to consult my old posts to check on the facts as I remember them...but here goes. Again.

Some altos made as early as 1932 have stampings on the necks in front of the microtuner sleeve - either STD'D M or STD'D N.

Then in the #276k-277k range only (1936-'37), you see altos stamped METRO or NAT'L under the thumbhook, after the model number. (METRO=STD'D M neck; NAT'L=STD'D N neck.)

Then came some #277k horns marked VIII NAT'L on both the horn and neck. The necks have a new, quicker-changing microtuner.
*** AFAIK, no VIII METRO horns have been found! Make of that what you will.

Finally after #278k (1937), all altos and necks are simply marked VIII. The marking VIII appears until about 1945.

During much of the period 1932-'37, there are other variables that may or may not be significant:

-the optional non-tuner (and the very rare tunable) overslung alto necks
-the 26M Connqueror series beginning in 1935 (also offered with an optional overslung neck - of yet another design)
-the nickname "New York Neck," of unknown origin, usually used for the non-tuner overslung, but sometimes confused with the METRO neck
-the letter A at the end of most alto serial numbers in this period (and only this period)

·
7,110 Posts
:salute: Thank you for the remembrance sir! And your little dog too. (My cat says meow.)

·
7,110 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts