Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought a Conn 6M Alto, had a repad job done.

It may be that I am just not used to it, but it seems somewhat stuffy compared to my Mk VI and other horns. Also the neck angle is distracting.

Recommendations on mouthpieces that have worked for others and other helpful thoughts regarding the sound and feel issues would be appreciated.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Selmer Soloist (recent re-issue) F and the Barone NY 5M both work well on my 26M (which is not too far from a 6M).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
I can use about anything on my Conns and prefer a Selmer super session or S-80. Meyer works well, M C Gregory OK....
What is your current one?

·
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have tried a super session D, soloist C# & C** and, I think, my Meyer 5, Morgan 6L, Morgan Vintage, and Barone NY 6, Link STM 6, etc.

I think I'll try them all again with brand new reeds.

Thanks Bruce.

Does the neck angle seem awkward to you on your 6M?

·
2,228 Posts
A stuffy conn sounds like there could be air leaking. It should be a super responsive sax and very free blowing. Wrap teflon tape around the receiver if it is a double socket neck. If it bunches up and gets pushed down let it, and play it. Air can also leak through the slit where the screw tightens, squeese teflon tape in there and play. Take a look at the micro tuner on the neck. Is the small screw in place that holds it in? If not it can slide slightly and leak a bit. Push it in without turning the microtuner if it is missing, it should click a millimeter in.

Mouthpieecs I use on mine are Brilhart's Tonalin, Ebolin, Streamline. Rosseau Studio Jazz is great as well. Vandoren V16 small chamber is exceptional and my favorite modern piece for all around playability in a modern setting. Very loud as well. They all play the best in tune.

Meyer medium chamber type mouthpieces sound great tone wise, but for me as well as some others they tend to play out of tune flat on a Conn. The reason for me is I am not as comfortable keeping the throat that open to tune each interval and note, unless it is a completly free blowing, its how I am built. Other players have no problems, so you should look at meyers medium chambers, V16 medium chamber. Meyer small chamber I think really has a great dense tone but I have the same tuning problems but it has a killer tone and is resistant.

Personally I believe that mouthpieces made in the same period as the sax was built, such as Brilharts are the best as they can match the bore of the Conn and play in tune. Rosseau Studio Jazz and V16 small chamber are the only modern piece I have found that play dead in tune easily. I hear that a Beachler small chamber will work but it is loud and bright.

Its not that complicated when you find the right one.....

Regarding the neck angle, play with it by raising the neck up a quarter inch and see if that helps for comfort. Then put it back in place and attach a small rope or thick shoelace/skatelace to the sax so that you now are balancing the sax as part of your center of balance instead of reaching out to the sax's center of balance. Attach it from the neck ring down to the solid key guard and add knots in it. You should be able to play it if you use a hook on the neckstap that closes when attached.

If this helps you should look into a Codera and lowering the ring on the sax. Go to www.codera.com click on wind instrumenst and tools, then Products then ADDjust Balancer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke.
2,968 Posts
The best mpc I have foudn for a Conn alto is a Runyon or Jody Jazz blue. Brilhardts work very nicely but the Meyers always tend to leave something to be desired sound wise on the Conn altos. Gregorys can be very nice but I found that the Vandoren offerings to be a little inflexible sound wise on the Conn altos.

Try a Runyon Custom or the Jody Jazz, you will be very pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
389 Posts
saxjd said:
Bought a Conn 6M Alto, had a repad job done.

It may be that I am just not used to it, but it seems somewhat stuffy compared to my Mk VI and other horns. Also the neck angle is distracting.

Recommendations on mouthpieces that have worked for others and other helpful thoughts regarding the sound and feel issues would be appreciated.
Twenty-five years a go I picked up a Conn 6M ,cheap, and had it repadded. It simply did not speak as well as I or the tech ( himself a good player) expected it would based on it's reputation so I traded it.

Several horns later the Meyer 5M that came with the Conn is still the best mouthpiece for Alto that I have found. Better, and I really hate to say this based on all the hype about old mouthpieces, then the newer meyer M or "G" series. Links though I love em on tenor and soprano just didn't cut it for me on alto!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
super20dan said:
the selmer metal jazz is also execellent on the 6m
The lead alto in a big band I play with uses a Selmer Metal Jazz on a Chu. Great bluesy, projecting sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
574 Posts
If you've got some cash to burn, try a Meyer NY or a Meyer Bros in whatever facing is comfortable for you. I've used small, medium, and large chambers of each and the all screamed on my 6M.

fm

·
Registered
21 Posts
Saxland said:
A stuffy conn sounds like there could be air leaking. It should be a super responsive sax and very free blowing.

I agree totally. My 6m is really free blowing, I use a metal Berg Larsen 80 SMS and I feel it great, big sound, loud and rich. Almost "violent" if you push it. Worth a try in my opinion...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts