Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be acquiring Conns lately...

I'm following a couple of horns: one is a 6M from 1942, the other is a 10M Lady from 1960, which I found a little surprising. When did the lady engravings go away?

I presume they need overhauls. How high would you go?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Presuming the 6m needs an overhaul they seem to be going $600-700 for average condition. Occasionally a sweet one with special art deco engraving, gold or silver plate $1200 in great condition.

60s 10m needing overhaul? $250-300ish. My opinion...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,960 Posts
It was '60-'61 I believe...the Lady disappeared before the neck switched to underslung, and there are some interesting 10M's which pop up now and again from the '59-'61 period which seem to be 'bridge' models between the Naked Ladies and the underslung Floral engraving, in that they sport some details of both.

So Boka, you can reasonably claim you have one of the "Last Naked Ladies".

(perish the thought)

Also....a 10M '60's underslung project horn, no nasty damage, has a higher market value than $300....try $400-475, sometimes they get to $500.

6M's, like 10M's vary in market value depending on the RTH or not. So Brian is on with the 6M numbers; although I think $600 for an RTH would be quite the lucky take - an RTH project one usually gets over $700 these days, oftentimes into $800.

While the 10M RTH project ones have actually gotten ridiculous, IMHO. Whereas 4 years ago one could be had $750-950, nowadays they all seem to be bidding up well above $1g and often into the $1500 zone...this for horns which still need a good $800+ overhaul.

While the Lady non RTH are still somewhat more sanely priced as project horns....

Is it a bubble ? Maybe. 10M prices have historically fluctuated more than, say, S20's or THC's....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Honestly I concur with Jaye, even for $500 a 60s 10m as long as it's straight is a great value. I visualize ex school district horn missing a keyguard and some dents for $250-300. I can be a cheapskate though.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Honestly I concur with Jaye, even for $500 a 60s 10m as long as it's straight is a great value. I visualize ex school district horn missing a keyguard and some dents for $250-300. I can be a cheapskate though.
What would a pre-war 10m 99% original lacquer be worth?

·
17,960 Posts
It has gotten insane, I now see people spending $2500-3000 for an overhauled RTH 10M with 60%+ lacquer. I have seen sax dealers pricetagging them at $3500. I do not think that is the 'common' selling price by any means, but neither is it an outlier anymore.

If you had an RTH original lacq, great lacquer remaining, in playing shape, no significant dents..you could likely find someone with money to burn to burn $26-2700 on it these days without too much difficulty.

People seem more than willing to invest $2500+ now to have an RTH, whether by buying one which is nice or buying a project and paying for an extensive refurb.

Again, in '14....it would have been $1800-2000 tops.

So if someone has one and you are willing to part with it, we may be at the top of the 10M market right now so you would probably be wise to consider selling soon. As I said, IMHO we are in a 10M bubble currently.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It has gotten insane, I now see people spending $2500-3000 for an overhauled RTH 10M with 60%+ lacquer. I have seen sax dealers pricetagging them at $3500. I do not think that is the 'common' selling price by any means, but neither is it an outlier anymore.

If you had an RTH original lacq, great lacquer remaining, in playing shape, no significant dents..you could likely find someone with money to burn to burn $26-2700 on it these days without too much difficulty.

People seem more than willing to invest $2500+ now to have an RTH, whether by buying one which is nice or buying a project and paying for an extensive refurb.

Again, in '14....it would have been $1800-2000 tops.

So if someone has one and you are willing to part with it, we may be at the top of the 10M market right now so you would probably be wise to consider selling soon. As I said, IMHO we are in a 10M bubble currently.
My step-son inherited one recently. He's not looking to sell, though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
I seem to be acquiring Conns lately...

I'm following a couple of horns: one is a 6M from 1942, the other is a 10M Lady from 1960, which I found a little surprising. When did the lady engravings go away?

I presume they need overhauls. How high would you go?
If you are looking to flip for profit, the value is going to depend a Lot on how much your overhauls will cost. If you are going to keep them to play, then not only does it depend on overhaul cost, but how much value you place on the respective horn.

If you compare these horns in top condition to what similar money would bring for a shiny new horn from Taiwan (or similar), it is a great value at $3k (including overhaul).

·
17,960 Posts
Playing Devil's advocate...I would argue differently:

A refurbed 10M for $2.8-3g is into used, refurbed S20 territory, refurbed THC territory, and well beyond refurbed Comm III territory.

It's also well into used, very good condition upper-shelf Yani territory, well into used JK SX90 territory, into used R&C R1 territory, and beyond Couf Superba I or Conn DJH-Modified territory.

With those options in play...I dunno.

10M's rock, they are classics...I LOVE 'em....but IMHO if someone had $3g in their pocket ready to spill on a Tenor, there are a number of others I'd suggest before spending that sorta dolla' on a 10M....

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
Unless the markets changed, I had trouble dumping a mint closest queen 1942 10M for $1700.
It was my second go around with wanting to have one of these. Great sound but the feel ends up being too clunky for my tastes.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
Unless the markets changed, I had trouble dumping a mint closest queen 1942 10M for $1700.
It was my second go around with wanting to have one of these. Great sound but the feel ends up being too clunky for my tastes.

·
17,960 Posts
1937 attic horn, assuming in need of at least a repad if not an overhaul:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-CONN-...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

$1450 shipped, assume repad or more $600-750ish...we are at $2050-2200.

1947 RTH one, likely in need of repad:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-Conn-...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

$1660 incl. ship, repad or more around $600-700ish...owner is in it for $2220-2320.

1942 one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CG-CONN-10...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

seller: "I know nothing about saxophones"....$2280 shipped, let's assume $500 of work needed...we are at $2700+

1940 one, "outstanding condition" :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-Conn-...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

"I don't play sax but I had a pro player try it and said it played smoothly and sounded great. He would like to have had it but he's a musician and couldn't afford it.
I'm sure the new owner will want it 'tweaked' to suit his/her taste"
$2250 shipped, let's say the 'tweaking' runs, what ? $150-200 ?

One is in it for $2400+.

Mind you, there was also THIS head-scratcher...a '30 silverplate with original + saxgourmet neck, supposedly playable, which sold on a $434 best offer 3-1/2 hours after it was posted....sold by a seller with 8 feedbacks. Supposedly seller knows enough about saxes to identify an F key with a poky spring, and claim it plays well. Hmmmm.
An 'outlier' in the very least...but quite possibly a completely fishy auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1939-Conn-...vip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137....

Then, for every outlier on one end, there's probably one on the other ...taking the opposite polarity, clearly a closet queen '47, 95% lacq , no RTH, for $3750 (again if you can believe that) :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenor-Sax-...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

So, quite fair 'nuff to say nowadays folks are willing to make a $2200-2700 investment into owning an RTH 10M Lady.....

I don't have time to look at 6M's now, but I don't quite think they have gone as nutz as the Tenors....

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Wow, with 10Ms going for those prices, I'll probably hold out for a silver Pan Am instead.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you are looking to flip for profit, the value is going to depend a Lot on how much your overhauls will cost. If you are going to keep them to play, then not only does it depend on overhaul cost, but how much value you place on the respective horn.

If you compare these horns in top condition to what similar money would bring for a shiny new horn from Taiwan (or similar), it is a great value at $3k (including overhaul).
I actually don't know if I'd resell them or not, I'd want to put them into top shape and play them first. You never know, right? The 6M and 10M are still in a reasonable ballpark, to me: $260 for the 6M and $790 for the 10M. I get a little skeptical on the 10M just because it's from 1960, and I currently have a 1947 RTH in the shop getting overhauled, but the '60 at least looks like it's 85-90% original lacquer. Then there's the 1929 Modele 26 alto -- neck like a cigar cutter, appears large bore but hard to tell in the photos, currently at $1200.

Shoot, I already have 4 horns in the shop, and I'm still looking at more... *sigh* but I could have worse problems I guess! I figure what the hey, I'll at least come close to breaking even if it comes to that, almost an entertainment unto itself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts