Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Ive recently been contemplating getting one of these two horns and I just wanted everyones opinion on them. What are there differences, similarities, what kind of sounds do they have, and would you reccomend them?
Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,364 Posts
hi....have tried both, very similar vibe... to be honest not a lot to choose between 'em.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,493 Posts
hi....have tried both, very similar vibe... to be honest not a lot to choose between 'em.

Me too. They are not all that different. You need to try them and see if YOU can tell. Everybody that has play-tested them (me included) will only be giving their own personal opinion. Personally, I thought they were over priced and I am not convinced that P. Mauriat is at all the Taiwanese leading manufacturer of saxes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I like the RUL better, the finish is nicer and playability wise they are very similar but I like the rolled tone holes more. The RUL seems to have a slightly more rounded and controlled sound.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
rul - bigger and ballsy.
86ul- sweet and punch

but i wont recommend using 86ul for smooth jazz or pop.
Hey, smooth jazz sounds very good on a 86UL tenor. Roger Manins showed it for us in his smooth jazz course part 1:

Learn from the masters. I have no clue how he did it but he did! Must be the backdrop or maybe the shirt?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts