Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was plundering P.Mauriat's site today and saw that they now have a new model of saxes called the 67RX series. I own a P. Mauriat 67R and I could not tell a single difference between the two, but they have there own pages. The only difference is that they use nickel-silver key touches in the 67RX. What's the difference?

·
Registered
149 Posts
There will be a lot of the people who keep telling you that they are different, and if yu ask PM guys, they will tell you they are different.

In my mind, it is all just an excuse to ask people to buy more of their over priced horn.

my suggestion, try it out and see for yourself, then you will know if this is true.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The difference between the R and the RX is most likely going to be finish. The look of the horn. That's about it. The bore will be the same, the rth's, etc. If you were to compare a 67 and 76 there would be real differences in tone.

Back when I was looking for a new horn I compared the 67 models with 76s and found they had different tonal concepts between the two models. The differences between one 67 and the next 67 were only as great as the variations you would find between any brand's two samples of the same model of horn imo.

I speak from experience because I play one of those overpriced horns. Only I didn't pay that much. I was also able to try a few examples of the 67 line. Even a few examples of the 67RUL, one of which I ultimately bought. And three years into owning this horn tells me this is a solid instrument. But I should also be very clear that I'm not a repair person. I don't generally go into the workings of the instrument and begin fiddling with it. I let those who know do the correcting. I play this horn outdoors (once in the rain this season) from the spring to August. I've played it in bars and you know what can happen in those situations. During the colder months I'm playing in theaters. And "retirement" facilities. If anyone needs music in their lives, it's those folks.

Your 67R is the same horn albeit with a different look.

Harv

·
Registered
88 Posts
The 67RX is different because of the nickel silver finger touches(flute key style).It is really nice playing on a sax with this type of finger touch and the folks at Mauriat state that the se nickel silver key touches give the horn more resonance. The RX is a nice horn and the key touches look really cool!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hmm... Speaking strictly as an amateur, I recently bought a 66RX after playing a Yanagisawa 901 for a few years. The 66RX is a much, much superior horn. I'm learning a bit about the benefits of having a really responsive instrument. Importantly, imho, when the horn is responsive, the player can more easily be more expressive. Also, I believe the action of the 66RX, maybe due to the weight of the metal key touches, begs me to play more rapidly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts