Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most people hide the last part of the serial number when advertising an instrument but I've never really understood why. I seem to remember once being told that it prevented unscrupulous individuals from making fraudulent insurance claims. Is that correct ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,149 Posts
The myth is that someone can take the serial number, fake some documents like a bill of sale and claim the horn is stolen. I just post the numbers.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for your replies. I've been hiding the full number simply because that's what everyone else seemed to be doing. After reading your comments I'll be posting the numbers.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,625 Posts
Thank you very much for your replies. I've been hiding the full number simply because that's what everyone else seemed to be doing. After reading your comments I'll be posting the numbers.
I think it's a good idea, I am more confident buying from somebody who gives the serial number, however if anyone knows of an actual real life case of being scammed on account of listing a serial number for a saxophone I might rethink.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
I hide the numbers if it's a customer's horn (and the customer may not want to see his horn over the internet, gutted and being put together all over again :mrgreen: ) and I may "hide" if we're talling ballpark serial ranges (wich is really not hiding but using the X's as placeholders so everybody knows the range we're discussing/referring to)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
..same reason people blur out their license plate numbers from photos. Fear.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,373 Posts
If I was to sell a horn, I'd probably post the whole number. However, when just discussing my horns I might refer to the '121,xxx' MKVI simply because I don't remember the last 3 digits. And the first 3 will nail down the year it was made pretty closely.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,354 Posts
If I was to sell a horn, I'd probably post the whole number. However, when just discussing my horns I might refer to the '121,xxx' MKVI simply because I don't remember the last 3 digits. And the first 3 will nail down the year it was made pretty closely.
same here with my 86xxx. I did post the whole serial number of my 63xxx when I put it up for sale on the dutch equivalent of ebay last week, with pictures. Otherwise people might not believe I actually own the thing. But I already forgot the last three digits again...
I am not afraid of the scam story, those horns have been with me for a long time and the reputable shop where I bought them can affirm that I bought them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts