Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in the process of saving for and deciding which P. Mauriat Tenor I want to get. I haven't had the opportunity to try any out yet (I live far away from every dealer), but I've been comparing them via youtube videos. I'm stuck between the 66RUL and 86UL... such a tough choice.
I really do prefer a more focused sound, but I really like the power of the 66RUL.

My style of choice is Hard-Bop, but I also enjoy playing Cool Jazz and Funk as well. My favorite Tenor players are definitely Dexter Gordon and Sonny Rollins. I like Dexter's focused sound on the Mark VI a little better than his spread sound on the Conn 10M, so I'm leaning a little more towards the 86UL.

However, I really like the 66RUL's sound as well, especially for high-tempo energetic tunes, but I really like to play ballads and I'm not sure if the 66RUL would sound as good as the 86UL for them.

It would be great having some feedback concerning the two models, which one you prefer and why. If you own a 66RUL, it would be awesome if you could make a video of yourself playing a ballad, and if you own a 86UL it would be great if you could make a movie, too, since there is a huge lack of 86 videos on youtube. And it would be even better if you have both and can compare them side-by-side. :bluewink:

Thanks so much everyone

Trev

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Trev
I have a couple of videos on you tube with the 86 already
This is a comparison of 86,76 and conn 10m

Or search " roger manins " and you will find me

Go to my profile and you will also find an 86 review, among other things

If you like I will do a direct comparison with the 86UL and the 66R on Monday and put that up on you tube for you, and others!

I love the 86-- It has a real unique beauty that i have not found in other horns
It has been a real interesting mission for me. Before I became involved with P Mauriat I was happy with my conn 10 m and mark 6, and if it works dont fix it! BUT I am curious. For me the 66 was just too big ( interesting though,i have a 66UL and a new 66R and I find the lacqured version a little more focused) The other thing I have discovered is that what mouthpiece you use has to be matched to the horn sometimes ( generally not-- but sometimes) -- and For me my old 9 link was just a little dark for the 86-- because this horn ( to me) is big fat and dark. More focused and more resistance than the 66, and comparable to the 76 in this regard ( focus-- maby a bit broader). The 66 is a big beast-- and best results are achieved with a 7,8 perhaps 9 mouthpiece. Some players in town who used these types of set up really dug the 66 and 76 over the 86(. Me - I have a jodi jazz 10# HR ( a darker sounding version Jodi made for me- but still a bit brighter than the link) and a 4 hard - so i need a horn with a bit of focus to direct the sound, and the 86 was a winner over the 66 in this regard. The 86 is just a darker, more brooding type horn. The 66 is like a 10 m in a way-- you bang any reed and mouthpiece and it plays ( though it is bigger than the 10m)
As I said-- i will do a comparison on monday and put a direct comparison of these horns ( might even get some time tonight if I am lucky!)
Kind regards
Roger
www.rogermanins.com

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much Roger!

Would you say the 86UL has a lot more resistance than the 66RUL?
I'm currently playing on a metal 7 Meyer and I'm still experimenting with reeds. I usually use size 2 - 2 1/2. Would it be difficult to play the 86 with this setup?

Also, have you ever tried the Magnum neck on the 66RUL? People say it focuses the sound, but there are hardly any videos of it. So if you have one of these necks, I would love to hear how that sounds on the 66RUL as well.

Thanks so much man
Trev

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Thanks so much Roger!

Would you say the 86UL has a lot more resistance than the 66RUL?
I'm currently playing on a metal 7 Meyer and I'm still experimenting with reeds. I usually use size 2 - 2 1/2. Would it be difficult to play the 86 with this setup?

Also, have you ever tried the Magnum neck on the 66RUL? People say it focuses the sound, but there are hardly any videos of it. So if you have one of these necks, I would love to hear how that sounds on the 66RUL as well.

Thanks so much man
Trev
I had a Magnum neck on my last 66RUL.It gave more of everthing if that makes any sense.Gave even more power and atad more bite.Getting another magnum neck for my new 66rul.Not blew the 86ul as yet so cant say but for me the 66rul sounds great on ballads,can do it all and i think there the best modern horn being made today.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input Mauriatboy

Roger- I just finished watching your video. Thanks so much! Darn that Dream is actually my favorite Dexter Gordon song! I think I liked it the best on the 66R . Thanks so much again!

Trev

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,833 Posts
interesting!..post from rogmanin,i listened to the video,..in my opinion the 86 sounded quite robust, plenty of power, personally i preferred the 76 and the conn, the 86 to me lacked the quality in tone of the other horns,.
Ive played a 66RUL and that was very impressive i would say it sort of sits in between the 76 and 86, probably more towards the 86 but to my ear" a nicer sound,so easy to play these mauriats are, a bit pricey but very nice..

·
2,833 Posts

Roger- I just finished watching your video. Thanks so much! Darn that Dream is actually my favorite Dexter Gordon song! I think I liked it the best on the 66R . Thanks so much again!

Trev
its a 86 trev!! not a 66

·
Registered
52 Posts

Trev
Here is the link for anyone interested in 66, 86 comparison
I am also loading up a video comparison of Magnum and super 6 necks on my 86UL. I have just got the Magnum in the post, so need to settle it in and get it fitting the horn
Pleasure ( and fun!) to help out
roger

·
Registered
52 Posts
86 has more resistance-- but you should not have any problem playing a 7 with a 2.5 reed on it. If you are in doubt the 66 is a "standard", proven , tested, accepted and desired horn with a big sound and great intonation, the 86 a little harder to play ( resistance--- I like that though) but with a more colorful/ dark/ richness to the sound. I have posted those videos anyway, and there is a good 10 min between the 86 and 66 so good luck!
Roger

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
Thanks for the videos, Roger: i thoroughly enjoyed them (and have downloaded most of them...).
I wanted to ask you what do you think is the difference between the 76 and the 86. Both of them should be appealing to those (like me) who do not get along with the spread sound of the 66R.
I used to own the 76, I thought is was very good but no Mark VI, still very good with perhaps to much resistance down low.
I wonder if the 86 is indeed a 76 re-branded as another model (I seem to understand it is made of another allow, phosphor bronze).... The difference in price is very large!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can definitely say that the 86 is a different horn. It is not as smooth as the 76 . To me more aggressive/ bigger yet it has this dark thing about the tone. Very rich sounding horn. I played the 76 for a year, and have been on the 86 for 3 months or so, and it does seem to be between the two

Hope this helps
Roger

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
For me the 66r was the winner.Just a nicer big tenor sound to my ear's.The magnum neck was also nicer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input everyone!

I agree, I think I prefer the 66R as well. I played it next to Dexter Gordon's version of Darn that Dream (the one from Ballads, where he's playing a Mark VI) and the 66R definitely sounds closer to his sound.

·
2,319 Posts
I got totally distracted by the smooth jazz lessons. The 86 sounds like it was made for smooth jazz. Roger, thanks for showing the very essence of smooth jazz in such an easy to understand way. You have revealed the mysteries of that genre which have alluded me for so long. I am forever grateful.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well honeyboy, sure appreciate your comments-- makes it all worth while
I will soon be adding "how to play free jazz" , and a few other " How to" videos, for ( i hope ) the greater good of sax kind
Roger

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,584 Posts
I really like the way my 66RUL plays with a nickel silver Super VI neck vs the Magnum neck....it's a personal thing, I find the bore/curve of the Super VI to be a better match for the 66RUL. That said I really like the material and brilliance in tone that the nickel silver has, now would be very curious what sound I would get out of a nickel silver 66 saxophone.

·
2,319 Posts
Well honeyboy, sure appreciate your comments-- makes it all worth while
I will soon be adding "how to play free jazz" , and a few other " How to" videos, for ( i hope ) the greater good of sax kind
Roger
You know, it's guys like you who restore my faith in the human race.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts