Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find a thread on mouthpieces/66r. I wanted to know which combo, mouthpiece/reed, are you guys using.

Thanks

·
Registered
249 Posts
I use a RPC 115B with a #4 rico royal or a 3.5 Vandoren v16 for a darker sound.
I've personally have sold 10 of this model tenor and everyone is using something different.
IMO i think a Berg-type piece fits this model well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm using a metal Link 6*. with whatever reed I can get to work well at the time! It blows strongly and easily, with a super powerful bottom end.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,581 Posts
I was in the shop getting some "I'm an idiot" work done on my Cannonball (knocked it off a stand), and put my Saxscape Xtra Dark on a 66r. Nice and big, easy to blow with a very rich sound. Honestly, it sounded similar to my Cannonball...guess the horn doesn't make THAT much of a difference. I didn't put it to a tuner, though it sounded pretty even, and I didn't notice any of the obvious signs of a bad MP/ horn match. Very nice saxophone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
I've used the following with good results:

Vandoren metal V16 T75
Vandoren Jumbo Java
Jody Jazz HR* 6*
Barone Jazz 7*
Warburton modded Link STM NY 7*

all with ZZ 2.5 or Rico Jazz 2H reeds

Really, it depends on what your tonal concept is. The horn works with many different types of mpc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,364 Posts
Normally a Berg Larsen Ebonite 110/2 and Rico Plasticover 3s (great combo)
(actually like Buddy Lee, above, I got some great results with a Vandoren Metal V16 T75 too)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Theo Wanne Gaia or Kali 8, Vandoren JaZZ 2.5-3

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hello all (Hi Al!),

I use a #9 refaced 'V' Tone Edge Link with traditional #3 Vandorens, when I want to make more noise, I sometimes use my early Babbitt 9 Tone Edge and/or one of the New Vintage Slant Tone Edge Links, about the same tip opening. I also play a 7* short shank Soloist with #4 traditional Vandorens going the other way, now & again.

The 66R has been very flexible with mouthpieces for me, hope you find it the same, best, DC

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm playing a Barone Hollywod 8/RJS 3M right now. My Phil-Tone Custom is great with the horn. I'm waiting for a Vintage Berg Larsen .107/3 HR from Phil, a.k.a. Sigmund451. Even though it's marked as 3, he says it plays like a 2. Love the sound of Bergs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have been using a Saxscape Downtown Studio prototype with really great success as well as a metal berg 110/0.. with both I use either Vandoren ZZ 3's or Rico Jazz Select 3's

·
Registered
8 Posts
I play a Jody Jazz NY Tenor 7* on my PMXT-66RUL. For me it's fine. Reeds: ZZ 3.0 or Java 3 - Ligature F.Louis or Optimum. All reeds i've tried, worked fine. V16 - La Vor med. Rico Select.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
I'm using a Mojo-modified STM .105 with #3 Studio Cut Legere reeds

·
Registered
26 Posts
Using a Selmer D* for easy playing and a Beechler 6 for a bright sound.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I pair my 66r with a Otto Link STM 8* NY and RJS 3H filed reeds. I play this set up on all of my tenors as I do not like to switch pieces. I also have a 7* STM that I used to play but it spend its time on the table now when I got the 8* NY.

·
Registered
8 Posts
changed to Berg Larsen 110/2 . Very powerful and funky sound, great subtones. Looking for a MPC with a greater chamber and more length. Any suggestions?
Has anybody tried the Drake "son of a slant" ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts