1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
warmer air; think blowing down.

·
Registered
285 Posts
What my professor always told me was to think of round, warm, rolling air....think of the air you're breathing making slow, large, round loops through your horn. Almost like fogging glass, except controlled as it goes through the mouthpiece, loose jaw, big "O" on the inside chamber of your mouth...

Not to mention a steely and a 2.5 reed isn't the best setup to get this warm tone you're looking for...=P

- Pat

·
Registered
337 Posts
Stop using a Dukoff?

The above suggestions about embouchure and breathing sound like the right idea to me.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Get a Keilwerth alto. Very fat dark sounding saxes.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Dukoff isn't going to make you a fat, dark, warm tone...sorry :(. I'd say try a Rascher or something if you're looking for classical (which doesn't seem to be the case), or a Runyon Custom without the spoiler with 3 reeds. Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
srry guys forgot to mention but i only use the dukoff when playing in my highschools jazz band
for everything else i use a yamaha 4c with a size 4 vandoren zz
apologies
srry

·
Registered
337 Posts
Upgrade that 4C to something like a Selmer S80 C*, perhaps a Meyer 5M, a Hard Rubber Otto Link. That s where you want ot be heading most likely.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
fuzzywuzzy said:
srry guys forgot to mention but i only use the dukoff when playing in my highschools jazz band
for everything else i use a yamaha 4c with a size 4 vandoren zz
apologies
srry
see post #2 and #3

·
Banned
624 Posts
fuzzywuzzy said:
i've been trying to get my tone to become darker and fatter but with no success can anybody help ?
Put your sax out in the sun and feed it more greasy stuff. :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
1. I could be wrong, but I think hakukani is trying to tell you it ain't what you play, it's how you play.
2. Don't put your sax out in the sun around Arizona, it doesn't get any darker sounding once the glue melts and the pads fall out.

·
Heterodox nonconformist
403 Posts
No one has said it yet, so I will. Open your throat. (In slight retrospect, post #3 may have been alluding to this...) Position your throat more open than you would ever think it would need to be, and if at all possible, have a tonsillectomy. It really does wonders. :wink:

·
Heterodox nonconformist
403 Posts
TenTenTooter said:
I'm having one in a few weeks and prefer a darker tone, I'll let you know if it helps!
Great! Be warned, however, that you will not be finding out if it worked for some time. (Expect plenty of ouchies.) See the tonsillectomy thread for more info. I'd recommend it to any saxophonist.

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
You dont need a new horn, you dont need a new mouthpiece or reeds or ligature or a tonsillectomy (come, that's the craziest suggestion I've ever head), it's all in your head. Look at Phil Barone's thread on "Tone Production," listen to guys you like and try to sound like them. That's the only real way to do it. Sorry, no shortcuts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts