Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the opinions out there on the 61 versus 875 tenors ?

I currently play a VII tenor and i have the option right now of getting a backup horn of either a really nice looking (for it's age) 61 , possibly a 875 not EX (but would have to shell out some $$$) or another Selmer mk VII

I like the Selmer, but I also like Yamaha and no, I can't play test any of them. I know ... i should .. but I can't and it's from people that i know so the playability and condition of the horns are not in questions. I'm just curious what everyone thinks of a 61 vs 875 v mk VII

Thanks

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Total crapshoot - no way to make an informed choice without trying them - but any one of them could be a great horn for you.... or not.

The 875 is probably the easier of the yams to sell on if you don't like it - I've never known anyone sell a 61 without regretting it later - You have a VII - god alone knows what another one will be certainly not the same.

Got to enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey Steve,
I haven't personaly played and compared them, but while I was in NZ, a very good player compared his YTS875 Laq (not sure if it was an EX?) against my YTS61S - each with their own orig necks. The 875 had more core to the sound, the 61S had a bigger and darker sound with more presence. The player did make a comment that the 61 felt more like Selmer in the hand that it felt like a Yamaha??

I borrowed the neck of his sax (custom G1 Laq) when I was thinking off getting a Custom G1 neck for my 61. When I tried his neck on my horn - the result was a much nicer/prettier but smaller/focussed tone than the original 61 neck. The Orig 61 neck didn't have as much core but was easily 2x/3x bigger and darker sounding. I have an un-laq Custom G1 neck which plays darker than the orig neck and has twice as bigger sound still...

As an interesting comparison, I had an opportunity to arrange a sale of a '50s 10M(wire key guards with the double socket neck) for a friend. I blew both of them and the 61 with its orig neck sounded just the same as that particular 10M but with a more focussed/smaller sound...

I am led to believe that Yamaha built/designed the 61 to directly compete against the Mark VI - I am sure someone can correct me on that...

I am sure you'll make the best choice for yourself...

Cheers :)

As an added note : I've heard that player perform live with other sax players; him using a current STM #9, another using Series 3 + current STM #9 and the third using a Series 2 (+ Series 3 neck)with a current STM 7*. I noticed that his sound was the most focussed of the three.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DougR said:
You have a VII - god alone knows what another one will be certainly not the same.
that certainly has me curious too

The 61 is 1/2 price of the 875 (which may not be available) and about 3/5 of the VII.

thanks for the info ryp

interesting dilemma i have ...
I've always loved Yamahas just never owned one - wish i bought tha 875 years ago. it was great, i just didnt' have the cash

1 - 4 of 4 Posts