Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-BRILHART-SILVER-3-BAND-ALTO-LIG-STREAMLINE-ALTO-/140511616568?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b7251e38#ht_500wt_922

Am I missing something? $600.00 scoots for a lig? One of those things that holds a reed in place? SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS???!! Egads!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
10mfan has a lot of cool stuff and if you want something rare, chances are he has it. Just be prepared to pay for it. Nothing wrong with that, just sayin'....

·
Registered
253 Posts
Really.... $600 for a lig? I spent 25 on mine, and I thought that was pushing it.

·
Vendor
15,722 Posts
Anytime someone has posted over the years about the crazy prices of vintage Brilhart ligs, I always laugh.
I know alot of sellers that have asked this kind of money and gotten this kind of money for these ligs...and many of us have gotten more.

You know why????

Supply and demand. There are buyers out there that want these ligs and they will pay $600+++++ for them.

Personally, I have said time and time again, that I USE A $2 LIG MYSELF, AND I'M VERY HAPPY WITH IT. THE BRILHART LIGS WILL NOT MAKE YOU SOUND NOTICEABLY DIFFERENT THAN A $2 LIG---BUT COLLECTORS WANT THESE AS THEY ARE COOL LOOKING AND HAVE A PART IN MOUTHPIECE HISTORY.

Its that simple. These ligs arent for players---the guys buying these 99.999999999% of the time are COLLECTORS. The only player I know that uses these full time is Kenny.

If the streamline ligs I have up were NORMAL SIZE ALTO LIGS THAT FIT SELMERS, LINKS, AND MEYERS...THEY WOULD ALL SELL IN A DAY FOR $600...GUARANTEED.

Streamline ligs are the hardest to sell because few pieces can use this size lig.

I know its hard to grasp that people would pay this much for a ligature---but they do ALL THE TIME. Not necessary from a players perspective, but the collectors love these ligs.

Its just that simple.

Does anyone NEED a $600 lig-------NO ****** WAY!
Does anyone really think they will sound waaaaay better if they use one of these------NO!
DO I THINK ITS NUTS THAT PEOPLE PAY THIS KIND OF MONEY FOR THESE LIGS------YES!

Do collectors love them----------YES, and thats why they sell for alot.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,125 Posts
Hey! I have one of those in my box o' sax stuff. Hmm...

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Right on 10m!
When I am lucky and find what I call case candy in a case of some horn I buy, I will sell it for whatever it gets. I don't think a lot of mouthpieces are worth what they are, but I'll take the dough. The best ligature I have used is one of those winslow copies on ebay. They do open up the sound, at least from the player's prospective. They are $140.00 on the bay and though I have tried one and liked it, I aint spending 140 on a ligature. In short (too late) what 10m said. It is supply and demand from collectors nothing more.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Well, when a horn costs $6k and up. Mouthpieces $1000 up .... Well, it's all in the players perception. Since music is ART and ART is SUBJECTIVE, obviously the value of artistic instruments is SUBJECTIVE! Good thing or we'd all sound the same!!! Viva L'Difference!!!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Anytime someone has posted over the years about the crazy prices of vintage Brilhart ligs, I always laugh.
I know alot of sellers that have asked this kind of money and gotten this kind of money for these ligs...and many of us have gotten more.

You know why????

Supply and demand. There are buyers out there that want these ligs and they will pay $600+++++ for them.

Personally, I have said time and time again, that I USE A $2 LIG MYSELF, AND I'M VERY HAPPY WITH IT. THE BRILHART LIGS WILL NOT MAKE YOU SOUND NOTICEABLY DIFFERENT THAN A $2 LIG---BUT COLLECTORS WANT THESE AS THEY ARE COOL LOOKING AND HAVE A PART IN MOUTHPIECE HISTORY.

Its that simple. These ligs arent for players---the guys buying these 99.999999999% of the time are COLLECTORS. The only player I know that uses these full time is Kenny.

If the streamline ligs I have up were NORMAL SIZE ALTO LIGS THAT FIT SELMERS, LINKS, AND MEYERS...THEY WOULD ALL SELL IN A DAY FOR $600...GUARANTEED.

Streamline ligs are the hardest to sell because few pieces can use this size lig.

I know its hard to grasp that people would pay this much for a ligature---but they do ALL THE TIME. Not necessary from a players perspective, but the collectors love these ligs.

Its just that simple.

Does anyone NEED a $600 lig-------NO ****** WAY!
Does anyone really think they will sound waaaaay better if they use one of these------NO!
DO I THINK ITS NUTS THAT PEOPLE PAY THIS KIND OF MONEY FOR THESE LIGS------YES!

Do collectors love them----------YES, and thats why they sell for alot.
BTW, I wasn't intending to say anything different. You get good money for these things because they're rare and in demand.

How you come up with them I'm sure is a trade secret, but I'd love to know it. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
I've often wondered what you do with a collectible ligature. Wear it on a chain, on your thumb. Show it to your girlfriend.
I'm just wondering, is all.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,125 Posts
Have your girlfriend put it on your ... nevermind.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
The people buying these for collections are either obsessed that they can live without food and good drink to get the lig they want or have so much money, th last thing they need to do is explain to their girlfriend why they spent $600 on a lig...

GF - "Honey, I can believe you spent $600 on a thing to hold the reed thingy."
BF - "It's called a ligature. I suppose you're right and I probabky should send it back and while I'm at it I could return that $60,000 diamond and emerald necklace."
GF - "You know, on second thought I can see why you like that reed thingy so much it; really is kinda cool lookin."
BF - " Yes it is honey, yes it is."

What I feel sorry for is the people who get it stuck intheir head that they absolutely need to have their favorite players setup in order to play well. - Just play.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The people buying these for collections are either obsessed that they can live without food and good drink to get the lig they want or have so much money, th last thing they need to do is explain to their girlfriend why they spent $600 on a lig...
Of course, there's always the possibility that the person buying isn't like some of us and is very wealthy... To them, $600 bucks could be nothing. Or maybe it would be going into a museum.

Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it.
-Publilius Syrus

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Of course, there's always the possibility that the person buying isn't like some of us and is very wealthy... To them, $600 bucks could be nothing. Or maybe it would be going into a museum.

Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it.
-Publilius Syrus
Anything and everything for sale is worth precisely what someone will pay for it. I'm just dumbfounded to think that a person would pay $600 for a lig - collector or not. I suppose a painting by Degas would be nice to have to look at. But so would a reproduction be nice to look at. Ego + $$ = high prices. Does anyone really believe that a '57 MkVI is "worth" 10 grand? Yet someone will buy it. I can't blame the seller. If he can get the price, good for him.

BTW: I have a used Yamaha YAS23 for sale - $2000.00. How 'bout it?

·
Registered
297 Posts
This stuff is just fun and educational. There will always be someone somewhere who will buy some piece of fluff for a ridiculous price and will still think it was a bargain. It is said "A fool and his money are soon parted." In a free enterprise system you can't protect people from themselves. You know, as I think back, I might have bought one or two things I couldn't really afford just to impress someone, possibly a woman, possibly hoping she would make an investment of her own in return. If you're not lying about something or making exorbitant claims for the item, you get whatever the market will bear (if you're selling to make maximum profit). Morally, it's more honest to offer a ligature for $600 than to imply the baldness treatment you're selling will get you laid.
Keep these ebay ads coming. They're always so interesting!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Anything and everything for sale is worth precisely what someone will pay for it. I'm just dumbfounded to think that a person would pay $600 for a lig - collector or not. I suppose a painting by Degas would be nice to have to look at. But so would a reproduction be nice to look at. Ego + $$ = high prices. Does anyone really believe that a '57 MkVI is "worth" 10 grand? Yet someone will buy it. I can't blame the seller. If he can get the price, good for him.

BTW: I have a used Yamaha YAS23 for sale - $2000.00. How 'bout it?
Like I said, to some people money is no object. I personally do not believe Mark VI's are worth 10k either.

Regarding the Yamaha... I read somewhere on this forum of a guy offering a beginning sax player a YAS-23 for her "piece of junk" YAS-62II claiming the 23 was the better horn. You may have more luck contacting him.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts