Sax on the Web Forum banner

Which recording method you like the most

• Sony A5100 built-in microphones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tascam DR-40 Digital Recorder

• AKG Perception 170 microphones (stereo pair)

• Shure SM98A microphone

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
7 microphones/recorders reviewed and tested (English subtitles available)

Hi folks,
I uploaded a video on which I compare 6 different microphones/recorders. Audio was recorded at the same time, so the sound source was the same for each microphone/recorder. I was surprised with the results. I'd like to know your opinions about which recording method gives the best results, I know this is a subjective opinion but it would be useful for me.

·
Registered
707 Posts
On my laptop, I thought Shure KSM27 sounded the best. Note: I am not into microphones at all, and I have no idea of the pricing of the ones you compared.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I was divided between the Shure KSM 27 microphone and the Shure SM98A microphone, but voted for the KSM 27.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After doing this video one of my first impressions was about how bright sounded the KSM 27 when compared with the others. That's a weird thing because it's supposed to be a "dull" sounding microphone compared to Rode and Audio Technica microphones. I guess the problem is related to the Shure high sensitivity, in later tests I moved slightly (5 degrees) the microphone to my right side and the recording sounded far more natural. I guess the microphone positioning is a whole topic which deserves an entire video about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts