Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I search baritone sax and when i come to my Music Center i Saw Jupiter 593GL
Good Mecenichs and good Sound
What Do you about this model ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Berko; did you get any replies? Did you buy the Jupiter 593 baritone? If so, what do you think of it? I would also like to know about the 593 baritone, come on guys let us know! Please only respond if you have played one (don't tell me to buy a Yamaha!) and bear in mind that budget is limited to 1300 GBP / 1500 USD aprox. :) Thanks

·
Registered
860 Posts
GL simply means gold lacquer - the standard issue. I've only played the predecessor, so I don't qualify as a source for the rest of the information required. If you can, play one for yourself. My impression up to now was that the 5** series, while not essentially bad horns by design, aren't as well made as I'd like them to be - rather soft rods AND body. Unfortunately, that's pretty bad news for a big horn - it'll take knocks whatever you do, and it has to withstand them. In that light, I'd find myself unable to recommend 5** series Jupiters. Starting from the 7** series upwards, however, I think Jupiter makes some of the most price-worthy horns on the market. But overall, they're just good saxophones - which is to say, nothing really special.

Which brings me to a different point: For that kind of money, you may well be able to buy used - not shiny or pretty, but playable, for instance something along the lines of a Vito VSP bari (Yanagisawa made horns - and among the really good players regardless of the price). They're as sturdy as it gets, have a nice tone (even if they're a little brighter than your average vintage bari), speak very well and do sport comfy ergos. I own and play the Yanagisawa brother (or father, rather) of those horns, the B-6 - still beats the hell out of most of the Selmers I compare it to, especially if it comes to playability and tone (the Selmers are chunkier, though, and most of them are louder, too). They can sometimes be had within your budget and make great player's horns.

As a P.S. Did you see that the thread you re-opened was over six years old? It's normally not helpful to take that route ... Especially if you happen onto a discussion that has been exhausted (this one isn't one of those, though).

M.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Moonmind: Thanks for your very informative reply! My comments and questions follow:
1) Soft rods and body - probably thin walled rather than a too-soft alloy, I expect
2) Do you know when the 7** was first sold?
3) How can one distinguish the 5** from the 7** ? I am negotiating the purchase of a 593 in Spain but can't to to play it. I can however ask for specific photos, etc.
3) Was there a 6**?
4) I too love Yani saxes but didn't think I'd get one within my budget. I'll put up a WTB.
5) I did see that it was an old thread but thought that the authors might have subscribed to be notified of changes....
6) what a great collection of saxes you have!
Thanks again!

·
Registered
860 Posts
@1: I suspect the material - the rods looked beefy enough until I saw them move when playing ...
@2: No, not exactly, but I own a 767 alto from the late 80's - I think mid-eighties isn't a bad guess.
@3a: They're numbered, i.e. there are model numbers present on each instrument! Somewhere near the serial number.
@3b: As far as the series go, yes, but I don't know a lot about it. I don't even know if there ever was a 6** bari.
@4: As I said, go for the stencilled ones, like the Vito VSPs. That said, I got mine for a lot less money than your budget!
@5: Never mind - just keep in mind that it's sometimes unwise to do this
@6: It's actually a result of trying to find the ones that really suit me - some of those will have to go sooner or later, but as long as I can afford it, I'll keep most of them.

Good luck and good success with your search!

M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts