Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me in who the sax players were in 50's rock and roll and what the well known songs were?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Johnny Paris (Johnny and the Hurricanes). Tunes were "Red River Rock", an instrumental version of "Red River Valley", "Reveille Rock" and "Beatnik Fly".

For examples, start at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvrD7XDwQ3Q and go from there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,018 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Hey, just a note on the attachment. I've heard it reported that Lenny Pickett played on the Katy Perry song but Kenny G is in the video.

Anyone wish to clarify.

·
13,018 Posts
Hey, just a note on the attachment. I've heard it reported that Lenny Pickett played on the Katy Perry song but Kenny G is in the video.

Anyone wish to clarify.
That's been discussed in another thread here. Apparently they used Kenny in the vid because he was a recognizable sax icon. It's a video. It's not meant to reflect reality.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
That's been discussed in another thread here. Apparently they used Kenny in the vid because he was a recognizable sax icon. It's a video. It's not meant to reflect reality.
I assumed that. Just noted that on the attached list by Mr. Laughter there is no mention of LP on the track.

·
13,018 Posts
I assumed that. Just noted that on the attached list by Mr. Laughter there is no mention of LP on the track.
Got it.

According to this web site and his daughter, Lily Pickett, it is Lenny Pickett on the Katy Perry song. I will update the list. Thanks;

http://mikemcinally.mvourtown.com/2011/06/03/rejoice-sax-solos-return-to-pop-music/
That column is titled "Rejoice! Sax solos return to pop music." Then at the end he has a "starter list" of 7 great sax solos in rock 'n' roll, all of which he acknowledges are at least 30 years old.

John - send him your list. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was wondering if that was really KG playing on that song. I've never heard him play like that before, and it didnt sound like his style. I also watched the notes being played in the video, and it didnt match up! I know KG's persussionist. Next time I talk to him, I'll ask!

Thanks again for the links too!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
I was wondering if that was really KG playing on that song.
saxmanjr, weren't you asking about R&R sax players from the '50s?

I'd also suggest going even a bit farther back to the late '40s when 'jump' blues started to take hold. That's where most of the '50s rock & roll came from, especially the sax playing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
All you should check out a new release featuring a never before release album by Herb Hardesty. The album's called The Domino Effect and sounds great. Great liner notes too!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,771 Posts
The list is now up to 2018 and in PDF format to send by email. Over 500 pages. Starts in 1955.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts