Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been a couple 10Ms for sale locally that look very nice cosmetically. Was wondering if these early post-WWII 50's 10Ms were up to par with the early ones. One guy just dropped the price a couple hundred bucks and I was thinking about taking a look. Worst case scenario is a pad job. What would be a good price if it looks really nice but could need pads and some adjustments?

·
Banned
184 Posts
You referring to the ones with lacquered keys and the old style neck or nickel keys and the double socket neck? The former are very much like the RTH horns. The latter are also good horns, but there are some different tonal characteristics that may or may not be problematic depending on how it's set up and played. Market rate is around $1000 for one of the earlier ones and around $500 for one of the later ones in the condition you describe.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
I would say any Conn up until the Mexican/Nogales ones are OK. I would prefer the RTH, but I have played some 6Ms from the late 50s that were great. A later 10M (nickel keys) can still be good as the prices are lower. I would assume a non-RTH 10M needing pads with a decent finish should be worth about $500.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,552 Posts
My recently acquired '48 NonRTH is great. I still have a hard time choosing between it and my '28 Chu.

·
743 Posts
Even the 1960's 6M and 10M are really good horns. Same body tube, but better intonation (Revised tone hole sizing or placment? Redesigned neck?) Really good buys.
Sax Magic

·
Banned
184 Posts
Even the 1960's 6M and 10M are really good horns. Same body tube, but better intonation (Revised tone hole sizing or placment? Redesigned neck?) Really good buys.
Sax Magic
Yes, there were a couple of changes to the neck. The double socket neck was added to the 10M around 1955 and the underslung octave key was added around 1960. I found the horns with the double socket neck more spread tonally than the ones with the original neck design.

·
2,597 Posts
The '60s 10Ms (sheet metal guards, underslung octave) in good playing condition have been going for around $700 on here, and are fine horns with a nice sound (I had one), and they are generally considered not as good as the '50s ones, but having never played a '50s one, I don't know how much of that is just "cool" factor.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
They're GREAT horns. I have a '53 10M (357xxx) and it plays every bit as good as my Selmers. I especially love the palm keys. They speak incredibly well and the overall sound/timbre of the horn is incredible. I've played some RTH 10M's and in my opinion, there's really no difference. Not to say anything bad about the RTH 10M's, but I do think they're overrated.

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts