Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how resell price is effected by a horn being bare Brass ?(Not thinking of selling BTW) I am really honking on this Martin ,fine horn. I don't like the G # cluster but getting more used to it. Surely if many had the choice we would choose bare Brass over re lac ?

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
Bare brass or not, a relacquered sax is still that...relacquered. I don't think many people have a problem with having a shiny sax, they just don't like the buffing related damage that sometimes goes along with it.

It's a personal preference...and I don't think there's as much of a widespread following of bare brass as some people think. Though I have a few of my own and think they're ok.

Add to that the fact that some people love stripping relac's and listing them on Ebay as original/never been touched horns, and that might just drive off a few more potential buyers of a bare brass sax.

Value-wise, they normally seem to be in line with relacquered saxes, or just a bit below.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't mind the smell and I had no choice with this horn as it was covered with red rot. I was just surfing around and found a product call "Everbrite" http://www.everbritecoatings.com/sitemap.htm anyone used that ? Thought it might be an idea to hand polish and use a some sort of coating to keep it shiny.

·
3,121 Posts
Not everyone digs the bare brass smell... and the stink it leaves on your hands.
Pull the horn apart and coat it with a nice wax- bees wax, eucalyptus, there's numerous options. Spray pack Mr Sheen or Marveer works too, but doesn't last as long.
Let the wax dry, give it a light buff with a soft cloth and the brass is nicely sealed against water stains and you won't end up with stuff on your hands.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,988 Posts
I dunno about bees wax...it is pretty stick stuff....I would not suggest that.

Hagerty 100 silver polish (the cream) works really, really well on bare brass....brings it to a lacquer-like shine and does offer some protection.

But it is the nature of the beast that bare brass is gonna patina and stain a bit....but this time when it patinas it can be a 'good' patina as opposed to a nasty one.

It would effect resale value...folks tend to not pay as much for a completely bare brass horn. But I mean we are talking 15-20%tops.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,239 Posts
You'd also have to figure that a bare brass vintage horn may have had a bad relacquer job stripped rather than the original finish. There are plenty of reasons not to strip an original horn, whereas there wouldn't be as many not to strip a refinished one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,292 Posts
Value-wise, they normally seem to be in line with relacquered saxes, or just a bit below.
Yep. I've only seen a few stripped down The Martins sell. But yeah, they seem to go somewhere just below the "decent relacquer" type price. That said, Martin prices seem to be way up right now -- I'm seeing ebay sales at prices I haven't seen before. But yeah, the bare brass thing will affect it.

·
1,127 Posts
Don't mind the smell and I had no choice with this horn as it was covered with red rot. I was just surfing around and found a product call "Everbrite" http://www.everbritecoatings.com/sitemap.htm anyone used that ? Thought it might be an idea to hand polish and use a some sort of coating to keep it shiny.
There are definitely some good reasons for stripping/polishing a sax, no doubt. But just coming from the value standpoint (when compared to other saxes of the same model that are in good condition), it doesn't help anything.

You can use a form of paste wax after polishing to keep the sax to help slow down the oxidation process. But...oxidation actually helps protect the brass (as does a lacquer finish). Continually polishing just serves to slowly remove more and more material over time.

My unsolicited 2 cents...

If you want a shiny sax, lacquer it. If you don't mind having a dull/oxidized sax, leave it as-is apart from mild cleaning.

·
3,121 Posts
I dunno about bees wax...it is pretty stick stuff....I would not suggest that.

Hagerty 100 silver polish (the cream) works really, really well on bare brass....brings it to a lacquer-like shine and does offer some protection.

But it is the nature of the beast that bare brass is gonna patina and stain a bit....but this time when it patinas it can be a 'good' patina as opposed to a nasty one.

It would effect resale value...folks tend to not pay as much for a completely bare brass horn. But I mean we are talking 15-20%tops.
The wax I used was not sticky at all, quite thick and easy to rub on- locally made with a lot of eucalyptus in it.
When I got my tenor it had the patchy remains of a relaquer. I stripped what was left chemically then brushed the brass with 0000 steel wool, applying the wax and cloth buffing it. The brass has since gained a lovely patina- which in itself is the brass' natural protection.
Mine doesn't look like a stripped horn, just a horn with no lacquer.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wondering how resell price is effected by a horn being bare Brass ?(Not thinking of selling BTW) I am really honking on this Martin ,fine horn. I don't like the G # cluster but getting more used to it. Surely if many had the choice we would choose bare Brass over re lac ?
I sold this bare brass one June 2021 on eBay

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,577 Posts
only 10 years to sell it? not bad...

Reactions: extradarcafe

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well bare brass sold fast, the re lac is not selling after 2 weeks. Happy with what I got $ wise. Happy with he mint horn...keep the Re lac for Gigging if it does not sell.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts