Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out who is soloing at what time during the 1946 Jazz at The Philharmonic concerts - specifically the brass players. I can distinguish between Parker and Hawkins, but throw Lester Young in there and it gets difficult for a jazz newbie like me. I also don't know who solos on the trumpet and at what time. What makes this even more difficult is that according to Discogs, the 8-song album that we have of the 1946 JATP is actually three different recordings from three different nights featuring three different bands!
I do not have the liner notes but I don't think they would help anyways.
Any help would be appreciated!!

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,217 Posts
I think I have that recording somewhere at home, but I'm not at home now, so I can't check the linernotes! Also didn't listen for ages to that (great) music.

Anyhow, you should try to learn and recognize the styles of these players by listening to comparable work of the same time (which is not easy and will take time).
Below link gives some info about who is playing in which number, which already can give you a clue:
http://www.discogs.com/Charlie-Parker-Jazz-At-The-Philharmonic-1946/release/5537816

Tracklist:

1 Sweet Georgia Brown
2 Blues For Norman
3 I Can't Get Started
4 Oh, Lady Be Good
5 After You've Gone
6 I Got Rhythm
7 Introductions By Norman Granz
8 JATP Blues

Credits:

Alto Saxophone – Charlie Parker, Willie Smith (2)
Tenor Saxophone – Charlie Ventura (tracks: 1), Coleman Hawkins (tracks: 6 to 8), Lester Young
Trumpet – Al Killian (tracks: 1 to 5), Buck Clayton (tracks: 6 to 8), Dizzy Gillespie (tracks: 1), Howard McGhee (tracks: 2 to 5)

Piano – Arnold Ross (tracks: 2 to 5), Mel Powell (tracks: 1), Ken Kersey* (tracks: 6 to 8)
Bass – Billy Hadnott
Drums – Buddy Rich (tracks: 6 to 8), Lee Young (2) (tracks: 1 to 5)
Guitar – Irving Ashby (tracks: 6 to 8)
About the musicans:

On alto are Charlie Parker and Willie Smith, which you should be able to identify easily. Parker's sound is with less vibrato, brighter and more attack, Smith plays smoother with a fat sound and long and fluent lines, using a lot of vibrato (30's alto style).

On tenor are Coleman Hawkins, Charlie Ventura and Lester Young. You already recognize Hawkins (a darker and sonour tenor sound). Lester is the one playing with a lighter sound not using much vibrato. Ventura is something in between both sounds.

On trumpet are Dizzy Gillespie, Al Killian, Howard McGhee and Buck Clayton. Dizzy and McGhee are the guys playing bebop style (lots of notes, fast and strange intervals), with McGhee playing with a more spread and rough sound compared to Dizzy. Al Killian is a high note expert playing more in the swing style and Clayton plays in a real 30's swing style, not using much high notes but more long melodic lines in the lower and middle register of the trumpet.

Could luck with learning to identify them, I hope above helps you a bit :).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you don't know either? ;) jk
I was afraid you were going to tell me to actually listen and learn for myself.

Everything you said is very helpful and I'll start my journey of doing it myself. I'll be replying with my best guesses soon enough.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,217 Posts
I recognize those guys within 3 seconds any time (not sure about the trumpets!), but I didn't listen to the recordings for a very long time and don't have time now to check (my records and CD's are hidden far away at this moment)!

That's indeed what I said (start learning yourself) :bluewink:!

What you also can do: find some youtube clip(s) of the recording(s) you want to know about and post a link here. In that case people can listen directly (here, on SOTW) and you could get a quick answer (also from me!) :).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts