Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been extremely lucky with picking up amazing bargain horns recently. After a long hiatus from playing, I purchased three alto horns in succession: An old Jupiter to get me up and running, then a P Mauriat 67R which kind of fell into my lap at an amazing price, and now an Antigua 4230 Power Bell in vintage lacquer, which, after much scrutiny, is pretty much identical to the PM. (........There, I said it, cue the haters :) )

To my ears, feel and ergonomics (same as PM but lighter under the fingers), the Antigua is an absolute winner. I'm just wondering why there is so little information available for it on the inter-web. I found one favourable review from a Jazz magazine, and a couple on sale in the UK, but that's it. Info is pretty scarce on here too.

Of the three alto's in my posession, I honestly feel this is the one to keep.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I don't know why they wouldn't look alike - they probably came from the same factory.
Antigua has their own dedicated factories and their own QA/QC and R&D teams. They are now making mostly pro-level saxophones and they are doing a d*mned great job of it too. I had joked about their tenors being "MEH" over the years, but have to be honest and admit that both of the Pro One and Power Bell tenors I tried two years ago were killers. The Power Bell was sweeter than both of my Serie III. They are now on par with Mauriat and that's saying a lot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts