Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I play one and it’s a very good horn. Very good intonation and for me a rich, warm dark tone with my setup. Rich Maraday has a clip or two where he gets a brighter sound than me.

I’m not a pro but I’m progressing.

Here’s https://soundcloud.com/john-kotches/sotw-totm-2018-06-miss-jones-tenor-first-take a quick take of Have You Met Miss Jones.

Feel free to contact me if you’d like.

Thanks,

·
Registered
25 Posts
I play one and it’s a very good horn. Very good intonation and for me a rich, warm dark tone with my setup. Rich Maraday has a clip or two where he gets a brighter sound than me.

I’m not a pro but I’m progressing.

Here’s https://soundcloud.com/john-kotches/sotw-totm-2018-06-miss-jones-tenor-first-take a quick take of Have You Met Miss Jones.

Feel free to contact me if you’d like.

Thanks,
I play next to this guy in a swing band, thank god he finally found something that plays in tune! Just kidding, John makes any horn sound good, especially the Orches, bonus points for it looking cool too!

·
Banned
58 Posts
It may not be a Taiwan horn. It could be parts from Vietnam or China. There are a few others with bows and bell rims like that one that are from China. They are considered Mark VI copies.

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
That neck is definitely Chinese. The arch of the key looks like it belongs over St. Louis. No guide on the key is like the ones you see on eBay.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hello all,

through a third party, John was kind enough to let me try his Ochres tenor. John's Ochres N5VX is modified in that it has a high F#. For comparison, I brought my Grassi Model 2000. I played on both with my Bari Infinity HR mouthpiece (my new favorite tenor mouthpiece).

I'll just get to the point........This tenor is the real deal. Very, very impressive horn. The sound is close to the sound of a good Mark VI. Much closer than any modern Selmer. To say I'm shocked is an understatement. John's tenor has a very round, balanced sound with that sparkle in the mid-range that I equate with a well set-up Mark VI. My Grassi Model 2000 sounded a touch thicker/fatter on the lower end, but the Ochres N5VX was the equal if not better in the mid-range and up. Just as powerful a sound as my Grassi with great intonation. I was told that Ochres is transitioning to the N6 tenor very soon. Supposed to be the same body tube as the N5VX but with better ergonomics. The position of the left hand while holding the N5VX is rotated a little clock-wise (looking from the top). And that is my only issue with the N5VX; the tenor is designed to be held more to the side. The left hand definitly feels better playing this way. Unfortunately, I like playing tenor sax more in front of me when standing. I look forward to trying the N6 when it comes out. I will probably buy one if it sounds the same as John's Ochres but with a slightly different left hand position.

later

JOel

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
So I ended up making a deal on this exact horn after the latest auction ended. I got it yesterday and took it for a spin. I also did a side by side comparison with a 94XXX VI a 47XXX SBA and a Yani T902. They must have copied the bore design of the 94K VI to a tee because it felt a lot closer to the 94K VI than any of the others. The ergos were fantastic and it had a nice loud tone everywhere in the range. The vintage Selmers still had more colorful, richer sounds, but not by as much as you would expect. The Ochres definitely played and sounded better than the Yani (and it's a good horn). The Ochres also outplayed most of the other Mark VI tenors I've played, but I think like any other horn it will meet its match going against the primo 5 digit VI example. Considering I bought the Ochres for less than 20% of each vintage Selmer and about 60% of the Yani, I would say it's the most bang for buck horn I've ever seen. As for a modern tenor comparison, I've owned in the past 2 ref 54's, a S80 II, a YTS-62 III, and an 82Z II. The Ochres felt like it blew better than all of those other modern examples. It's a great horn, I'm planning to keep it in the stable with my vintage Selmers. It's going to replace the Yani as my "modern, outdoor gig, leave in the trunk and not worry about it, backup, etc horn."

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
So I ended up making a deal on this exact horn after the latest auction ended. I got it yesterday and took it for a spin. I also did a side by side comparison with a 94XXX VI a 47XXX SBA and a Yani T902. They must have copied the bore design of the 94K VI to a tee because it felt a lot closer to the 94K VI than any of the others. The ergos were fantastic and it had a nice loud tone everywhere in the range. The vintage Selmers still had more colorful, richer sounds, but not by as much as you would expect. The Ochres definitely played and sounded better than the Yani (and it's a good horn). The Ochres also outplayed most of the other Mark VI tenors I've played, but I think like any other horn it will meet its match going against the primo 5 digit VI example. Considering I bought the Ochres for less than 20% of each vintage Selmer and about 60% of the Yani, I would say it's the most bang for buck horn I've ever seen. As for a modern tenor comparison, I've owned in the past 2 ref 54's, a S80 II, a YTS-62 III, and an 82Z II. The Ochres felt like it blew better than all of those other modern examples. It's a great horn, I'm planning to keep it in the stable with my vintage Selmers. It's going to replace the Yani as my "modern, outdoor gig, leave in the trunk and not worry about it, backup, etc horn."
Hi and thanks for the review. Can you let us hear the comparison between the selmers? Just record them with a good mic or your cell phone.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
FYI - I dig my Ochres, but I have too many horns and have to put this one up for sale. Check out the classifieds if you're interested.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hello all,

I was VERY impressed with the N5VX tenor I tried. Anyone here tried the V6 tenor? I am specifically interested in the left hand position. Otherwise, I think Ochres saxes are the best thing coming out of Taiwan.

Later,

JOel

·
Registered
22 Posts
So is Ochres out of business or what? If you look at their website most of the products are listed as sold out. Just a couple of sops and baris left. I was lucky enough to get an alto V6 off ebay for about $750 and immediately put my Yamaha Custom Z for sale. I would love to find out if their tenor and sopranos are as good but I never see one listed for sale and it looks like they aren't making them anymore. Anyone know anything about the company and their plans to make more saxes? Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
you should ask Rich Maraday , he was trying to get in touch to distribute them.

You ‘ve bought one new for $750? If that was new and sold directly from the company it was certainly under their buying price

Great horns! 3D printed technology. The N0' 5x Model is a incredible sounding, responsive instrument and surprisingly affordable. They are also very in tune, built well with the pads shellacked in and great setup work. It's a really a beautiful sounding instrument.

·
Registered
22 Posts
you should ask Rich Maraday , he was trying to get in touch to distribute them.

You ‘ve bought one new for $750? If that was new and sold directly from the company it was certainly under their buying price

No, it was off ebay and it was from one of their endorsers as he was now going to endorse another brand and had to sell his Ochres. I couldn't believe I won the auction at $750 and didn't expect much but it came in and it is just an amazing horn. I'll reach out to Rich and see what he knows...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts