1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
Borgani Jubilee

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
It depends on whether $4k is a hard cap or you could go up to $4.2 or $4.4k. (Although if you buy from a European retailer such as sax.co.uk, then virtually everything except the priciest Selmers or the sterling Yanys comes within your budget.)

I'd probably test the following horns in your price range or just above it; keep in mind that my perspective is mostly classical.
  • Yanagisawa AWO1, AWO2, AWO10 -- I currently have a Yany A990μB, so I'd probably favor the Elite model (the 10), but I'd want to try the others too.
  • Yamaha YAS-875EXII -- Probably the only Yamaha I'd want to try out. The 62 and the 82Z probably would be too bright for me.
  • Selmer SeleS Axos -- My main alto is a Selmer Series III, so I'd want to see whether the Axos effectively delivers the Selmer tonal experience.
  • P. Mauriat Master 97A -- I'm just curious about this horn.
If you told me to just order one without playing anything first, I'd go for the WO10. Yanys are very consistent and versatile.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Down payment on a Ref 54?

The undersung SeleS Axos is cool to see on this list! I had one but it spun off its stand (stupidly located on a table) and biffed onto the ceramic tile floor before I really got to know it. On reflection I think it was pretty fine, and would save you enough for two boutique MPs under your $4K cap. Worth a trial blow if you can find one in a store.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Yanagisawa. Amazing ergos, best intonation in the biz, great sound.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found an as new returned Yanagisawa WO20 Series Alto Saxophone Bronze. Looks really nice. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Love the bronze finishes (they look so great when reflecting light). I have an AWO2 and SCWO20 myself. Is the WO20 the one on eBay from Ishibashi? I think another member here is selling a WO20 as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Love the bronze finishes (they look so great when reflecting light). I have an AWO2 and SCWO20 myself. Is the WO20 the one on eBay from Ishibashi? I think another member here is selling a WO20 as well.
The WO20 is on Amazon from a dealer in NY. I have an email in asking for more pictures and detailed information.

·
32,935 Posts
I found an as new returned Yanagisawa WO20 Series Alto Saxophone Bronze. Looks really nice. Thoughts?
Thoughts...

Several years ago, there was a nice comparo of all the modern altos. As I recall, the A-992 came out on top. The W020 is the new, improved version of that. If you can find one at a decent price, it is certainly not a bad horn to consider. When you get to the top horns of the respective top companies in the game, it really does come down to personal preference. Polls like this are beauty contests, and not relevant to what is best for you.

You might find one another year or two older for less money, but if new is what you need, go for it.

I have had a couple of the Yanagisawa bronze horns. They really are nicely made.

·
32,935 Posts
The WO20 is on Amazon from a dealer in NY. I have an email in asking for more pictures and detailed information.
Hah! What do you hope to see if it is advertised as "as-new"?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Ah, just saw your join date and post count and it looks like you are unable to access or participate in the SOTW marketplace yet. That WO20 another SOTW member is selling is supposedly in showroom condition and it came from Kessler in the past year (which means it would likely have been set up well). I've been very tempted to snatch it up myself.

If you're looking to go with a modern alto, it's hard to go wrong with a Yany. I actually prefer them to Yamahas (I've owned a Custom 875 EX and YAS 82ZII at certain points in the past).

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,202 Posts
I also play a lot of jazz, blues, and even more rock.

I like the AWO10, but very much prefer the TWO1. I find the 01 (and so on) to be a bit brighter than the 010 (etc.), and more flexible at big volumes and when doing rock kinds of things. Smears, growls, polyphonics, etc.

Good advice above about trying several.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah, just saw your join date and post count and it looks like you are unable to access or participate in the SOTW marketplace yet. That WO20 another SOTW member is selling is supposedly in showroom condition and it came from Kessler in the past year (which means it would likely have been set up well). I've been very tempted to snatch it up myself.

If you're looking to go with a modern alto, it's hard to go wrong with a Yany. I actually prefer them to Yamahas (I've owned a Custom 875 EX and YAS 82ZII at certain points in the past).
I was seriously considering a YAS-82ZII. How many posts before I can access the marketplace?

·
32,935 Posts
I was seriously considering a YAS-82ZII. How many posts before I can access the marketplace?
6 months and 50 posts.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?153384-***-RULES-General-Posting-amp-Marketplace-***

Eligibility for both viewing and participating in the for sale and want to buy sections are determined by:

a. If you were a member prior to June 16, 2013, you should have Marketplace Privileges regardless of your post count.*
b. For those members joining aft June 16, 2013, Marketplace Privileges are attributed after six months AND 50 posts relevant to saxophone or some aspect of music making. This does not include very short, irrelevant or "+1" type posts that are merely added to increase post count. Repeatedly making such posts will be viewed, and dealt with, as spam.

A minimum of fifty (50) relevant forum posts required in order to participate in Marketplace. Please understand the purpose of this rule is to establish you as a legitimate saxophone player/enthusiast. When deciding whether or not to deal with you, most SOTW members want some assurance that you are in fact a fellow sax enthusiast, and not someone who might have less than honorable intentions. Your forum posting history helps establish that. THIS IS NOT CRAIG'S LIST.

If in the judgment of SOTW staff you appear to be adding frivolous posts just to reach the 50-post minimum, we reserve the right to reset your post count and deny you access to Marketplace.

* Those who qualify, but need their permissions changed to access will still have to contact the staff to have this manually changed. Those who already qualify will be unaffected by this change, and still have full access.

Those who try to solicit or encourage using the forum's PMing feature or post ads outside of the Marketplace in order to avoid this restriction will have their offending posts deleted, and an infraction up to and including a full ban issued.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts