Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,795 Posts
Can anybody make the mouthpiece? Looks like a nickel Wolf Tayne.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,795 Posts
I'm not sure - can't see enough of it but it could be.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I just tried a 39T today. It was very well set-up with good sized metal resonators, in pretty darn good condition, with 90% original lacquer. It was pretty underwhelming. Pretty dark, very polite sound. Better intonation than my 38T. Not even close to the best Beaugnier I’ve played, which is JohnInDenver’s 37 tenor. Now that horn is an absolute BEAST.

Later

JOel

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I've got one like the one in the auction. I actually bid on that auction but didn't want to win it. Mine is in silver plate. I don't know the numbers of the different models. However I do believe it really is all in the neck as in the videos made by Jazzmanted on youtube.
The best one I ever played was one JohnInDenver sold on Ebay. I later sold it. It was also silver and had the bell keys on the left. One of the horns I regret selling.
In case you didn't notice the one in the auction is sometimes called the Face model. Mine is really good. Its ergos are not as good as the Duke. I have been underwhelmed with the Vito special tenor. However the Duke alto is excellent.

·
Registered
249 Posts
OK, I just tried a 39T today. It was very well set-up with good sized metal resonators, in pretty darn good condition, with 90% original lacquer. It was pretty underwhelming. Pretty dark, very polite sound. Better intonation than my 38T. Not even close to the best Beaugnier I’ve played, which is JohnInDenver’s 37 tenor. Now that horn is an absolute BEAST.

Later

JOel
BD, This may be a factor. I own a number of these in Noblet and Vito branding. The neck you see on this one with the brace has a very different profile than many of the Vito branded models. This neck is usually with the Noblet Face models and a much more slender neck with no brace is on most of the Vito's. I have several of each neck, and with the slimmer one they play as you experienced, more dark, classical, and polite. Jazzman Ted actually mentions the 2 neck styles in one of his videos.

I just sold my Selmer Paris Super Balanced Action Tenor on Epay about 10 days ago. Comparing the neck style in this Vito listing (And 2 of my Noblet's) to my Selmer SBA neck it appeared really close to my Selmer SBA neck. Epay had given me a special listing promotion for a max final value fee of $10 bucks each on up to 5 items. I sold my SBA Tenor, SBA alto, and a Buffet R-13 for total fees of $30 bucks! I finally got one over on Ebay.

My SBA pair and SBA Tenor Neck. I'll snap some pics of the 2 Vito / Tenor Necks and post

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have several of each neck, and with the slimmer one they play as you experienced, more dark, classical, and polite. Jazzman Ted actually mentions the 2 neck styles in one of his videos.
Hello Googolodoro,

the 39T I tried had the neck brace style that Jazzmanted said was the nicer one. The sax still played very dead. The very fine gentleman selling this particular 39T is a sax tech with 40 years experience. He did some minor adjusting as I was testing the horn. He got it to seal better, but the sound stayed the same, very dead. Basically, what I am looking for is a tenor that plays like JohnInDenver's 37 tenor sax, but with more modern ergonomics.

Thanks,

JOel

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,387 Posts
Well I am gonna chime in with a contrary experience. I am the guy who purchased this 39T and I have completed the refurb. I have here in the shop a Buescher 'Crat, a King Cleveland, and an Eastman 640 as far as tenors go. I also have this puppy, another Beaugnier stencil, right hand bellkeys with traditional keywork:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SA...2B71E9fGsY%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

I have found nothing 'thin' nor particularly 'tame' about the 39T in comparison. It blows focused and relatively dark. Side by side, back and forth - it sounds, quite honestly - tonally almost identical to the auction horn above.

There are subtle differences between it and the Buescher, the Buescher possessing darker harmonics and a bit more 'spread' while the 2 Beaugniers are a touch brighter and more focused, but then when compared to the King Cleve (which is a tad brighter and a tad narrower than a Buescher to begin with), it is really sitting square in the same sonic paradigm as the Cleve, a horn most would consider 'big toned'.
The Eastman, a great sounding modern horn (FS on vendor section BTW) is also in the same family, tonally...actually darker and smoother than any of the others, surprisingly.

For kicks I threw in a good ol' Vito-Yama, for me the quintessential example of a modern toned horn (not the 'best' modern toned horn, just a typical modern tone)....THEN the differences become obvious...the 39T to mine ears being neither thin, narrow, nor lacking in cojones one would expect from a Beaugnier.

"Polite" ? Polite as one would expect a vintage (non-German) European horn to be vs. your typical American one, I suppose.

So comparing the 39T to 4 other horns which have a rep for "blowing big" and on the darker side....the sonic differences between them and the 39, while there, are somewhat subtle...sort of what one might expect from comparing some good vintage tenors to one another.

Before I ship out the 39 I am gonna do some body tube measurements and compare it to the other Beaugnier...I am guessing there are elements in the specs which are gonna be identical (although the 39 has offset lower stack holes, while the other does not).

That's my report:salute:

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
If those are like other Vitos they seem to be a larger bore than a lot of horns. That might be why they play darker.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well I am gonna chime in with a contrary experience. I am the guy who purchased this 39T and I have completed the refurb. I have here in the shop a Buescher 'Crat, a King Cleveland, and an Eastman 640 as far as tenors go. I also have this puppy, another Beaugnier stencil, right hand bellkeys with traditional keywork:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SA...2B71E9fGsY%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Before I ship out the 39 I am gonna do some body tube measurements and compare it to the other Beaugnier...I am guessing there are elements in the specs which are gonna be identical (although the 39 has offset lower stack holes, while the other does not).

That's my report:salute:
Good Job, PDXLID

I'm glad somebody got that one. I have gone back and looked at it a few times, and it is unique in all of the Beaugnier Vito's I have seen. It seems to be a Noblet Face, but with a Vito Brand on it. Most of those were all made in 1959 and 1960. Your horn even has the face on the neck. I have 2 of the Noblet Face Tenors. And 3 Vito Branded Beaugnier Tenors. They all are great horns.

The pictured Noblet Face Tenor had this card denoting it as model 79. The only time I have seen a model number attributed to the "Face" model.

Willy O in Minnesota

Attachments

·
Registered
866 Posts
I don't believe that horn is a 39T - which model number was alternatively called the Duke Special, or at least that's my understanding. The G# key isn't egg shaped, no felt adjusters on the bell keys, different octave thumb lever, different pant guard, different body to bell brace (came out of the Noblet bin along with that neck?), earlier serial number...Not sure there was a standard neck brace but my 39T - that absolutely screams with tons of brilliance - has a thin strip Selmer style.

Don't doubt that it's a very nice horn following Jaye's great work, but it presents as a different, slightly (?) earlier model.

The 39T isn't a dark horn. In sharp contrast the earlier Beaugnier Special Perfect tenors I've tried were different - and didn't do much for me; felt sort of woolly and keyword was on the soft side. Maybe I was unlucky with my sample of 2 though...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Enthusiast is right. At least according to Kim Slava's websight. I just got the horn from Jayelid so I was very curious. It's a Vito Face Model. It's not a Duke. It's model 9139. This version had a limited run: serial #'s 8000-11000. Mine is serial # 10046 from 1969 it seems. These are Mark VI-ish build wise. I guess Beaugnier closed in '67, reopened under LeBlanc and this is when this limited design was made. The Beaugnier history is really strange. Beautiful horn.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts