Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with this horn? I find altissimo G almost impossible to play. (I've been practicing at it for at least 2 years. Altissimo A comes out easy and like butter. Even my instructor can't hit it when he plays my horn. Could it be the mouthpiece? I'm using a Guardala King with a 3.5 V16.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
Have a tech give the horn a once over. A small leak in the wrong spot can make a note impossible to play. That said, I prefer using Front F, RH 1, and the high F# key for altissimo G on all modern Selmers with a high F#.

Edit: If that doesn't work, try pushing the front F about half way down. If high G speaks, while using that fingering, then your front F is over venting the F palm key, and needs to be adjusted. It's a pretty simple fix too.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I have a 38 BA tenor and I think the altissimo is easier than my Mark VI which is surprising. The fork F with nothing else speaks clearly. I don’t Know about a Guardala. They’re way too open for my tastes.
The venting (height) of the F key has a lot to do with if this fingering works well or not. Luckily I got my sax after a very good overhaul since you don’t have a mechanism to adjust the height on a BA without changing the cork thickness.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Try: octave key- 1-3-4-6 and TA(Bb on the right)
I'll try that on some older horns. B with side Bb works for me; and front F, with or without side Bb; the first might be easier to get if you start with 1-3-4 and side Bb for an F# (which will probably be a little sharp) and slurring up to 1-side Bb for G. Having multiple ways to traverse the break is a good thing. I suppose you could get it with a low C plus octave, hard to land on though, I have to honk through the harmonic series to get there. Runs off the stray cats though.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'll try that on some older horns. B with side Bb works for me; and front F, with or without side Bb; the first might be easier to get if you start with 1-3-4 and side Bb for an F# (which will probably be a little sharp) and slurring up to 1-side Bb for G. Having multiple ways to traverse the break is a good thing. I suppose you could get it with a low C plus octave, hard to land on though, I have to honk through the harmonic series to get there. Runs off the stray cats though.
Probably but it worked great on my super balanced action I had and cause there are a lot of keys closed the sound is nice and full.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Front F with side Bb FTW. The notes about checking how far the high F key opens with the front F key are right on the money. Too far and no go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts