Sax on the Web Forum banner

$350 ebay Chinese unlaquered curved soprano unboxing video

8K views 86 replies 21 participants last post by  SaxPedalGuy 
#1 ·
I recently ordered an unlacquered curved soprano saxophone from a chinese ebay seller (top_eseller). I figured that I'm good enough to make anything playable sound ok or, if not, it would make a sweet Christmas tree topper. Also I'm not aware of any main brands that currently offer an unlacquered curved soprano and thought it would be fun to have for that reason.

Turns out I was pretty blown away by how well it played out of the box. I made an unboxing video () and will follow up with a video comparing it to my older Kessler and Sons straight soprano. Check it out and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
SaxPedalGuy Dave

#4 ·
I didn't see it as "pushing", more like kind of review? I assume he's not getting paid for this.

Also, SaxPedalGuy - you stopped posting and I haven't seen any new YouTube videos. I quite enjoyed your stuff, e.g. "The Legend of the Chinese White Gloves" was such a weird delight (below).

Come back!

#5 ·
Well....perhaps the awesome eBay cheap chinese soprano didn't stack up very well to a Kessler, then subsequently did not stack up too well to a box of plumbing fixtures......and is now a tree ornament....which is usually how a cheap chinese eBay sax would impress a few months after its 'unboxing'....

I do have to agree with Grumps' observation (back then)...an odd and somewhat suspicious initial posting on any Forum, really....

#13 ·
A new member and the 1st posting .
Excellent posting for the 1st time. I wish we had more members with such capabilities...:) nice video, very funny and great playing.
BTW the eBay seller he mentioned has been active on eBay for ages. I remember him from the past. (15 years or so) He is an American living in China.

#22 ·
Always amazing how these new members can Post a new thread in the right sub category on their first try. He had to be active as a guest for several months prior. I'm just curious if he knew how to bookmark his thread to get back to it.
Has anyone noticed the OP has vaporized? Last one of these BS advertising threads was comical. Right down to the timestamp being premium business hours in China..... Not quite sure how he knew the item was packed and Styrofoam. The shipping labels noted handling from LAX
My tech told me the Chinese soprano are less likely to go out of adjustment as opposed to the larger saxes because the soprano parts are smaller and keys don't necessarily bend as much.

I have had a couple of these $350 curved sopranos and was taken by surprise as to how good they were.
OK I'll buy your comment on the quality reasoning. I'm just not sure why you have had a couple that WERE good ?
Maybe you wanted one a different color ;)

#18 ·
Hey man this was fun to watch. My tech told me the Chinese soprano are less likely to go out of adjustment as opposed to the larger saxes because the soprano parts are smaller and keys don't necessarily bend as much.

I have had a couple of these $350 curved sopranos and was taken by surprise as to how good they were.

#27 ·
OK I'll buy your comment on the quality reasoning. I'm just not sure why you have had a couple that WERE good ?
Maybe you wanted one a different color
don't be so severe. The gloves are getting better and better.:mrgreen:

I still have such 350u$ curved soprano (Taishan) ... turned to almost a 500 u$ due to shipping and customs... comes usually in a styropor box and... man that gloves are awesome. :bluewink:

I didn't see any problem in this posting.
The guy he has bought the soprano from, is barely active. He comes back from times to times with offers but is not a big dealer at all.
The posting and the video are harmless in my opinion.

#29 ·
Top_eseller is a known seller (TaiShan I believe?) and has been mentioned 104 times before this comment across SOTW according to Google. I'd be surprised if they needed to use the marketplace or even the forum for advertisement...

Of course I might be wrong but it seems unlikely.

#30 ·
Top_eseller is a known seller (TaiShan I believe?) and has been mentioned 104 times before this comment across SOTW according to Google. I'd be surprised if they needed to use the marketplace or even the forum for advertisement...

Of course I might be wrong but it seems unlikely.
Grüzi Malte :)

No, he is not part of Taishan. Just a guy who sells horns from time to time and since he has been around for ages and NEVER got active here... he is for shure not giving a peanut for getting more acquainted.

#31 ·
My only thought after watching this video for the first time is -- how many people would be taking big whiffs of the packaging and contents just for that fresh Chinese factory smell with the fear of the coronavirus in the air?

#34 ·
Haha! The coronavirus aspect didn't occur to me. From the YouTube guy's remarks (and his previous experience), I thought the smell would be very nasty.

From his review of the sax, I didn't form a good impression. His playing was good, but he indicated numerous mechanical issues with the horn. My impression is that it wasn't an instrument you could use long term.

#36 ·
But people, we should all be glad that on these days almost everyone can afford for a sax to get started, thx to China. :bluewink:
They have made huge progress in engineering and copying high end products.
We also can be thankful to Taiwan (Chinese people sameway) for making saxophones on the level of the big 4.
What I can't accept is a Taiwan made tenor been sold for the price of a Selmer or a German Keilwerth, when they cost 1/10 of that cost.

Even when a Ishimori or Cannoball (Taiwanese) sound that good... asking 5 grand or more keep me away of buying one, alone for that excessive price policy. Although I do understand the reasons.

#40 ·
What I can't accept is a Taiwan made tenor been sold for the price of a Selmer or a German Keilwerth, when they cost 1/10 of that cost.
Understood - and I share the sentiment. Yet, in a free economy the market will eventually decide the value of goods.

... and most importantly the horn has been playing great for the last few months. I've been playing it on gigs and it's been holding up fine...
Good to know. Another review of it a year from now of any maintenance issues (or lack thereof) might be interesting.

#38 ·
Hi Everybody! SaxPedalGuy Dave here. Sorry I wasn't subscribed to this post, I'm pretty good with technology (I have a degree in electrical engineering) but didn't realize this post was getting any attention until Malte contacted me on another thread. To answer some more of these questions, I don't represent any Chinese companies, I am trying to ride the wave of unboxing videos, I'm not particularly thin skinned, I'm new at making videos and my second camera didn't work on this one, the smell test is me being my funny self, Corona virus wasn't a thing when I got this horn, and most importantly the horn has been playing great for the last few months. I've been playing it on gigs and it's been holding up fine.

I will be making more youTube videos, including unboxing a custom tenor I got from Alibaba.com, but in the meantime I stay more active on Instagram (@SaxPedalGuy) if you want to see more clips of me using my curved soprano, pedals, or whatever I try next.

Thanks to all of you who have checked out my videos.

Cheers!

#41 ·
I talked to SaxpedalGuy a good bit after he posted the video and he's anything but a shill. The video and back and forth was much about....hey this is my experience and I thought it might be interesting if...not buy this from X person and mention my name. You can see a little of the back and forth in the comments of the video on youtube. He's very much just a working Seattle musician who just wanted to relate his experience/curiosity with the process.

BTW Grumps...I like giving you a little crap every once in a while but it is no way meant to be real attack or trying to be offensive.

#42 ·
BTW Grumps...I like giving you a little crap every once in a while but it is no way meant to be real attack or trying to be offensive.
I mean... Grumps is very negative sometimes, surely he must have heard that lots of times before. At the same time he must not have very thick skin - I assume his prior comment meant he blocked me for saying that his comment was hostile, which I stand by.

Oh well :)

Btw, very happy Dave chimed in. I really enjoy his videos!

#43 ·
Two things smell like fish. Fish and fish. I have a degree in fishing. I’m quite proficient at it. I just forgot to put my line in the water. And on some other thread I was on someone sent me a PM. Only took me four months to get it. I’ll be at the fish market tomorrow with more fish. Thanks for checking out my fish. Meanwhile now my fishing pole works quite well. I’ve been catching a lot of fish on it. Have to go now I’m catching a wave.

Aloha !

#45 ·
hello Dave and , for the case nobody said this yet... WELCOME ! :)
you are doing a good job and as I knew from the beginning no conspirations at all, just a normal guy (a saxpedal one LOL) posting videos and experiences with instruments, nothingelse. People should relax and enjoy life more.
The eBay seller you have bought the sax from is not a newbie and not a big dealer either.

thx for your funny entertaining videos :)

#48 ·
hello Dave and , for the case nobody said this yet... WELCOME !

you are doing a good job and as I knew from the beginning no conspirations at all, just a normal guy (a saxpedal one LOL) posting videos and experiences with instruments, nothingelse. People should relax and enjoy life more.
The eBay seller you have bought the sax from is not a newbie and not a big dealer either.

thx for your funny entertaining videos
Thanks CONN-hunter! I got the horn BECAUSE it was cheap and I think not enough people talk about the realities of paying for a $5,000 horn when most bar gigs pay $50. I appreciate your participating in the discussion!

#66 ·
I'll make a proper new thread for this, but for those of you already following this one, thanks for the support and criticism. All of y'all's energy helped get me back to editing after a Seattle winter's hibernation and now here's the tenor unboxing video!

One criticism of Chinese horns is "you never know which factory it came from." Well in this tenor's case I got mine directly from the factory. I'm not being paid to promote this company, but they did build a saxophone for me (and were very nice about it) so aside from my money being on the table, I'm biased because they delivered a custom engraved and branded sax to my doorstep for just over $600. This one didn't play out of the box as well as the soprano, but after having the spring tensions, neck reciever, and cork adjusted it does plays great and in 3-4 gigs and some busking has nearly paid itself off.

No, it doesn't play like my Referance 54. In some sense a used student Yamaha is probably more practical. However, the uniqueness and style of this horn definitely gets more attention out in the world which translates into being remembered, tipped, and hired. So what's really most practical? I think it depends on what you hope to get out of your horn.

Keep it real playas! ✌

#74 ·
New guy barking at bigger dog on the porch. Sounds personal to me, but at least something is biting, eh PS?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.