Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ordered an unlacquered curved soprano saxophone from a chinese ebay seller (top_eseller). I figured that I'm good enough to make anything playable sound ok or, if not, it would make a sweet Christmas tree topper. Also I'm not aware of any main brands that currently offer an unlacquered curved soprano and thought it would be fun to have for that reason.

Turns out I was pretty blown away by how well it played out of the box. I made an unboxing video (https://youtu.be/JAynwbgVNSg) and will follow up with a video comparing it to my older Kessler and Sons straight soprano. Check it out and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
SaxPedalGuy Dave

·
Registered
419 Posts
Dave. That was a cool video and love the pedal stuff!
I just received a new ultra-cheap Chinese soprano (Antigua X/P). It required some of my father's south-of-the-border adjustments, but it will serve the intended purpose.
You made that cheap horn sound like a million bucks.

·
Registered
708 Posts
First post pushing a horn is generally not the best way to arrive on site.
I didn't see it as "pushing", more like kind of review? I assume he's not getting paid for this.

Also, SaxPedalGuy - you stopped posting and I haven't seen any new YouTube videos. I quite enjoyed your stuff, e.g. "The Legend of the Chinese White Gloves" was such a weird delight (below).

Come back!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,982 Posts
Well....perhaps the awesome eBay cheap chinese soprano didn't stack up very well to a Kessler, then subsequently did not stack up too well to a box of plumbing fixtures......and is now a tree ornament....which is usually how a cheap chinese eBay sax would impress a few months after its 'unboxing'....

I do have to agree with Grumps' observation (back then)...an odd and somewhat suspicious initial posting on any Forum, really....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,981 Posts
I do have to agree with Grumps' observation (back then)...an odd and somewhat suspicious initial posting on any Forum, really....
And you don't really know who actually posted it.

·
Registered
708 Posts
And you don't really know who actually posted it.
Sure, but the video didn't feel like it was pushing anything. Not sure if you watched it...

Anyway, I thought the guy making them was kind of funny. Very "unpolished" in a world of influencers and so on.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I must have missed the part where he advised against buying such a horn...
Maybe there's a language barrier problem here, when you say "pushing" I believe you mean "making aggressive efforts to sell" (see https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/push 3b) which is not the same as "didn't advise against".

Agree he seems fairly positive, with some caveats like he can't play the high notes well etc., but I don't personally think you can call that pushing according to the definition above.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding something.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,939 Posts
Maybe there's a language barrier problem here, when you say "pushing" I believe you mean "making aggressive efforts to sell" (see https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/push 3b) which is not the same as "didn't advise against".

Agree he seems fairly positive, with some caveats like he can't play the high notes well etc., but I don't personally think you can call that pushing according to the definition above.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding something.
You’ve missed multiple threads on how Chinese sellers enter the site with a soft sell angle. Like Grumps Said. it’s not exactly the best thing that your 1st post is presenting a Chinese instrument. Threads on fakes or soft selling by suggestion is highly frowned on at this site. China is manufacturing approximately 80,000+ saxophones a year. The quality is all over the place. United States is the main market place. So tell me where do you think they will advertise. With whatever angle possible. Just to add clarity I’m not saying that this person is deceitful or has ill intentions. Although I always have my guard up.

·
Registered
708 Posts
You guys are too conspiratorial IMHO :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,594 Posts
A new member and the 1st posting .
Excellent posting for the 1st time. I wish we had more members with such capabilities...:) nice video, very funny and great playing.
BTW the eBay seller he mentioned has been active on eBay for ages. I remember him from the past. (15 years or so) He is an American living in China.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,982 Posts
I suppose then.... that noting: this continues to be the OP's lone post on the Forum...

.....is also 'conspiratorial' ? Because to me, a bit of a critical eye towards threads like this is more representative of a tad of astuteness....

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
Maybe less of his puss and more on the “un-boxing”.
He kinda looks like a young David Cosby which ain’t much better than the old David Cosby.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,488 Posts
Hey man this was fun to watch. My tech told me the Chinese soprano are less likely to go out of adjustment as opposed to the larger saxes because the soprano parts are smaller and keys don't necessarily bend as much.

I have had a couple of these $350 curved sopranos and was taken by surprise as to how good they were.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hey man this was fun to watch. My tech told me the Chinese soprano are less likely to go out of adjustment as opposed to the larger saxes because the soprano parts are smaller and keys don't necessarily bend as much.

I have had a couple of these $350 curved sopranos and was taken by surprise as to how good they were.
Careful, if you're too positive Grumps will think you're a shill.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts