Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had these 3 just made and they are ready to be enjoyed!

The sound of these pieces is absolutely gorgeous. They are warm, full, big, even top to bottom, complex, rich, and more focused. In cigar terms for all you cigar guys, the sound is CREAMY. For all you non-cigar guys, the sound is DREAMY. :)
Perfect description. It is so versatile and incredibly in tune. The altissimo is excellent and the sound is so big and beautiful!

The design is ORIGINAL and so unique compared to anything out there. I am so proud of this model.
For all you guys chasing a great vintage Link hr mpc, I can tell you that this does so much more than a Slant or Reso does. Reed choices allow for super great variety in showing what this piece is capable of.
It’s like having several mouthpieces in one. Easy blowing with the right amount of resistance to allow you to color it how you want.

You can read about this piece, see pictures, and hear audios and videos on the website.

www.10mfan.com

I will also post a few videos here shortly.

1. 7* is .105

2. 8* is .115

3. 9 is .120

$395 plus shipping for each. These are a steal at this discounted SOTW price.

Selling from Florida

To buy at this price:
Email me at: [email protected]

·
16,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
DOUG LAWRENCE: 2 videos with the Select Jazz reed on his THE CLASSIC

SAM SKELTON showing the warm and full tone live on his 7** THE CLASSIC:

CRISTIANO GIARDINI using his THE CLASSIC with a Rigotti reed and getting more modern punch from the piece

DAVE POLLACK duo:

JEFF RUPERT getting a real Stan Getz vibe on THE CLASSIC 6* with the Vandoren blue box reed

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quick review: You can get a little dizzy trying to keep up with 10Mfan's different designs. I own three of Mark's pieces, and with one exception bought them at full price. I got a Classic during a previous sale and it gets considerable action because it is flexible and really fun to play. I don't get lost in the descriptions and trust my own ear to determine how it feels to me. So, disclaimer yea, I dig these mouthpieces and yes I paid for them, but does my description adhere to Mark's categories? Probably not. Opinion imply based on playing mine over the past 8 months. I'm an average Joe player who loves it, is retired and can devote the time to it I always wanted...

So, IMHO

The Classic is unique - not as nuanced as the Robusto, nor as lush as the Merlot. To my ear, it's forte: it is flat out loud. I have not played the Black Widow and I was not a big fan of the Boss, so compared to the pieces I am familiar with, this mouthpiece has a lot of power. For me it does not have a lot of resistance, so you can really jump on it and it responds in spades - tight, powerful, huge soundstage - holds nothing back. It is really a big fat gas - car analogies apply here - early Shelby GT...(hey, sorry I grew up in NC in the 50s-60s...) !!! The sound is definitely not that of a high baffle piece. It has more body to it, and man it can gittiup. You can be heard but it is not shrill or thin. And yes, you can lay back on it, but the joy of this piece is found in pushing it into high gear. I've played this in really loud electric settings and felt very comfortable. No problem keeping up and it plays with a lot of body. I'd say you could almost take this on any gig, but for a straight ahead evening in a good room I'd prefer the Merlot.

Anyway - happy customer here!

Hope this helps!

·
16,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, George!
One thing I have loved about you for years, is your honesty. You are old school and I love that.

The nice thing about my mouthpieces, is with different reed brand choices, you can make each one of my mouthpieces into several pieces.

That’s the beauty of the designs. Each of them are so flexible and versatile that every player can dial-in what they want with allowing the reed brand of choice to aid greatly in dialing it in for themselves.

One important factor for me with all my mouthpieces, was to put them in categories which made it easy for the players to decide which models would be best for them based on what they like. My categories are carefully and thoughtfully laid out and I offer a focused and spread option in each category. It really simplifies things and lets the player fine-tune what they are looking for. I also provide descriptions, pictures, and plenty of audios and videos on my website so people can really dial it in.
If they have any questions, I am always approachable and I answer emails the same day I get them.

I talked to another S0TW member yesterday and he loves my Classic more than the Merlot because it has more focus. He loves both pieces a ton but says he prefers the Classic because of that. He was on the Merlot for 4 years before getting the Classic. Others prefer the Merlot because it has a more spread sound with a big round chamber and the lower floor and baffle so people can fill it up differently. The sidewalls are also completely different on those 2 models.

One thing I have always believed in is that mouthpieces should have incredible flexibility and loads of volume available to them for when players want that. I sold the best vintage pieces for 3 decades and the warm ones were many times very stuffy, or dull, and didn't have the flexibility or many levels of volume available to be used in different settings. I refuse to make one-trick- ponies. Why do you think the vintage guys were notorious for adding wedges to their vintage pieces. You can add a big wedge to your 1930 Eburnated bar hr Slant Link, and NEVER get what my pieces can do without anything added to them. Its all about the designs.

George, its cool that you find the Classic flat out loud, because I don't, but it has plenty of volume available when I want to utilize that. Thats what I love about my pieces so much, everybody gets their own vibe from them, and thats a wonderful thing. My friend Pat Zicari in L.A. uses my Merlot hr in his LOUD blues band. He says it can do everything. I cant get that type of vibe from it, but he can. I love that so much. I am glad you are digging the pieces so much, and glad you have dialed in what it is that you dig for yourself.

THATS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT!

Big hugs, Mark

·
Registered
293 Posts
I too have several of Mark's pieces -- and just love all the depth and dimension of the Classic. it does have power/volume available, but it's also possible to get really nice shading and texture at low volume. for me the most incredible thing is that when I play soft with it, somehow it does still project. it's not one of those pieces where it's either "on" or "off" -- there's a lot of possibility for dynamics.
thanks Mark!!!!

·
16,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, Tom! I hope you’re doing great.
I’m glad you talked about the texture of the sound and all of that, because that so important. I find the classic to get plenty of volume, but it’s not super loud for me. It could be play to a whisper and it still retains a big body of sound.
The Showtime model that I just released, (which is my second category piece along with the Robusto), is a piece that can get much louder. Again, very big and full sound. If you guys read my website, under the Designs and Philosophy tab, I specifically talk about that big sound within the first few paragraphs. It’s very important to me.

I’m glad you guys are digging the mouthpieces so much... it means the world to me!

·
Registered
725 Posts
I also have three 10Mfan pieces that I regularly use- the Classic, the Robusto and the Black Widow. FOR ME: The Classic makes a great ballad piece- warmish but with a nice core. I sometimes darken in up by using an A&W reed, then a RSJ gives it a little more focus, and Rigotti Gold Jazz for a brighter tone. The Black Widow is my loud piece- it just blows the doors off the back of the room when I need it to, without sounding shrill. And then the Robusto hits right in the middle of those two. I used the Robusto for a rehearsal with a rock cover band tonight and had plenty of power for 12 bar blues blasting and still ok to nuance for some quieter Van Morrison stuff. All are just such fun to play and they work well on every sax I have tried them on (an embarrassing number).

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,658 Posts
Everyone obviously has a lot of good things to say so I'll be brief, this HR piece is a SERIOUS player. If you are looking for a fat, warm, CLASSIC tenor sound, it's more than worth checking out.

Best wishes Mark.

·
16,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys so much!
So glad all of you are enjoying the mouthpieces!!!

There’s something for everybody. Pick the category that fits what you’re looking for and pick that piece in the category that suits what you desire.

I’m very appreciative of SOTW for all the support. Thousands of players are playing the pieces all over the world and it all started here, and I’m very thankful for that!

Simon, can't wait for the recording from you.
The short one you sent from your garage was a teaser, and you sound FANTASTIC!!! Cant wait for one I can post on the website.
All the best, Mark

·
16,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All are sold....thank you.

If you want one of these models for yourself, just let me know your size, and contact me. We are making loads of pieces every week.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Just want to give a shout-out for these pieces. I have an 8* (113 tip but I'm in a phase where I'm trying a ton of different tips) that is a pleasure to play. It affords me a clarity of sound that I get out of few pieces right off the bat. Yet again, another unique, excellent mouthpiece from 10mfan. Thanks, Mark!

·
16,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you so much! I remember when you ordered that with that custom tip size. So glad you are digging the mouthpiece and you got to check out the new Showtime piece. It’s phenomenal.

All the best, Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts