Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
Fast tempo and hot chart but really sounded good to me and your alto solo with the bata drums in the rythm part behind you was killer for sure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Cool playing!

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eric-Yeah I know i know...da ga da ga da ga DA da ga da ga da ga DAHH da .... sometimes I do the masato honda ending but mostly I do it differently each time...
thanks for watching...at least one person knows the tune lol!

Ryan

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! we've played this about 4 or 5 times in that past few weeks this was pretty much my weakest solo--but it was SUCH a great crowd--really helped warm me up...We didn't have any time before this gig--hectic and people rushing on and off--I think we had like less than 10 minutes for our entire band to take the stand and get all the stuff situated before downbeat. If we went over, then they would cut into our 40 min time slot for the festival...very strict but lots of fun...

Ryan

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Ryan, why no uniforms? Obviously, the regs allow you guys to do this, but as a former USAF Bandsman, I'm surprised that a U.S. Army band would perform with absolutely no (at least none that I see) visual signs that you're representing the U.S. Army.

Just curious!
John

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,144 Posts
Ryan, why no uniforms? Obviously, the regs allow you guys to do this, but as a former USAF Bandsman, I'm surprised that a U.S. Army band would perform with absolutely no (at least none that I see) visual signs that you're representing the U.S. Army.
It's hard to tell from the video, but they do all appear to have a unit logo on their shirts. I was browsing through some photos on the 296th Army Band facebook group, and they sometimes wear "uniforms" even much more casual than this...including collarless t-shirts with a small logo on the front and a large unit emblem on the back. We were never so lucky when I was in Army Bands back in the 70's. I like the idea of the casual uniforms though. It sort of makes the band seem more accessible to the public...like saying..."We may be in the Army, but we're just like you".

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We do have regs for sure about uniforms and most of the time we wear one of the several uniforms to fit the occasion's formality but there is also a small blurb in the regs that allows individual commanders to augment and make decisions about when and where to wear what. Sounds complicated but we take it as the norm. For the Jozenji Jazz Festival since we were the first US military band to ever play in that festival, our command wanted to present a little softer image of the US Army--similar to the point cooolJazz was making above...In this vid we are all wearing a polo-style shirt with our garrison's emblem. We also sometimes play with a 'band t-shirt' which just has our specific logo on the back.

·
2,144 Posts
nitrosax...I've seen several other current Army bands wearing similar polo-style shirts. We would have been thrilled to be able to wear those back in my day. 90% of the jobs I played in the First US Army Band were full dress blues. We were occasionally lucky enough to wear summer Khaki uniforms, but not often. The first (and only) uniform modification I saw was when our SMAJ was able to get approval for the band to wear the dress blues pants with the short sleeve khaki shirt. Strange combination, but it looked pretty sharp. I don't know for sure, but we may have been the first band to use that modification. It was sure a hell of a lot more comfortable than wearing those hot, wool, blues jackets in the summertime. Unfortunately for me, that uniform wasn't approved until right around the time I left the Army.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Very hot!!!

What happened to everyone's hair?!? :clown:

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nitrosax...I've seen several other current Army bands wearing similar polo-style shirts. We would have been thrilled to be able to wear those back in my day. 90% of the jobs I played in the First US Army Band were full dress blues. We were occasionally lucky enough to wear summer Khaki uniforms, but not often. The first (and only) uniform modification I saw was when our SMAJ was able to get approval for the band to wear the dress blues pants with the short sleeve khaki shirt. Strange combination, but it looked pretty sharp. I don't know for sure, but we may have been the first band to use that modification. It was sure a hell of a lot more comfortable than wearing those hot, wool, blues jackets in the summertime. Unfortunately for me, that uniform wasn't approved until right around the time I left the Army.
uggh, full dress blues-yeah we only wear those for formal evening-type gigs and/or marching tattoos. The old Green wool Class A uniforms are being phases out now and will be completely obsolete very soon...We also went to a patrol cap only with the daily Army Combat Uniform (previously the BDU). The beret is only worn with the blues now.

·
2,144 Posts
The old Green wool Class A uniforms are being phases out now and will be completely obsolete very soon...We also went to a patrol cap only with the daily Army Combat Uniform (previously the BDU). The beret is only worn with the blues now.
The green Class A is no big loss. That was an ugly uniform. I don't know why they called it Class A because the last thing it had any of was "Class". No berets in my day either. We would have had the crap beat out of us by Special Forces if they had caught us wearing a beret. :mrgreen:

The standard uniform was a different story when I was with 2nd ID in Korea. All of our field jobs were in combat fatigues, including web gear and those HEAVY old-school steel pot helmets with camo covers. After I left, they started wearing just the helmet liners without the steel pot...painted glossy black with the 2nd ID emblem. Lucky bastards. I'm still convinced that some of the degeneration of the bones in my neck is partly because of how much time I spent with a 5lb steel pot on my head. :(

At any rate...great video. The band looks and sounds great. I only passed through Japan briefly on my way to and from Korea, but a lot of the guys I served with ended up in the 296th at some point or other. They're all retired now and you're probably too young to have known any of them, but I've enjoyed hearing them talk about their experiences in Japan and seeing all of the photos spanning several decades.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for your service!

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks man...The only ol' timers I know are priestly williams, bill cann, chris burnett, keith philbrick...maybe you know some of those names...

·
2,144 Posts
Thanks man...The only ol' timers I know are priestly williams, bill cann, chris burnett, keith philbrick...maybe you know some of those names...
I know all of those names, but didn't serve with any of them personally. Both Keith Philbrick and Chris Burnett served with the First US Army Band (after I was there). Bill Cann was in 2nd ID at some point (most likely after I was)...and I know of Priestly Williams by way of "friends of friends" from some of my other Army buddies on facebook. I created and administer the 2nd ID and First Army Band groups on facebook, so I'm familiar with hundreds of people that I never met but have had the pleasure of communicating and sharing old band stories with.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Ryan, thanks for the reply! This is NO reflection or opinion of you, but I have to say that I think the "casual" or "softer impression" stuff is BS. You and your fellow band mates are representing the United States and specifically the U.S. Army and why the command types are afraid to show that is what aggravates me. You're a U.S. military band for crying out loud and you're also representing the U.S. No uniforms, no flag, nothing. Just disappointing. So why play in a festival or any kind of concert venue as a U.S. Army band if you're going to dress/look like any other group of musicians (minus the spiffy hair cuts!!)? Again, NO reflection on you personally. Just bugs the hell out of me.

Best....
John

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
John-I hear ya man...I can't really speak on behalf of the command though--so this is where I bow out... :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts