Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to have an old Chu Berry NWII alto repadded and
I have been offered a choice of pads, and resonators, I have
a few ideas and have searched the forum, bot not found any
really solid answers on what is best? So I would love to hear
recommendations particularly from people who have done the
repad or who are playing on one that has been repadded.
As always, thanks a bunch. Jay.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
Conns are pad friendly. My altos mostly have plain tans with some kind of resonator, usually flat metal or nylon.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
I have done dozens of re pads on these horns - including my own. Here have been my general results:

Plain pad with plastic domed reso - Nice - works well.
Plain Pad with reso-techs - BIG - HUGE - LOUD (almost too loud)
Roo Pads - nice works well - typical roo pad feel
Saxgourmet - Firmer feel than roo - nice responce
"Painted Pad" ala emilo - Alot like the reso techs - however because of teh rolled tone hole - and the painted leather - the felt hardens up REAL quick.

What ever road you go down - make sure you go somewhere that knows Conns - and dealing with rolled tone holes.

Charlie

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,035 Posts
Conn Reso-pads look good on these but I use MusicMedic flat metal resos. They look similar to the Conn pads but are easier to get an exact fit on the older horns.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
I've owned several each way. While you won't miss the metal reso's if you don't have them I think the reso techs will provide some extra kick as Charlie mentioned. On tenor it is really more desirable to go with metal but on alto either way works pretty well. If you want to appeal to people who want maximum volume go with the metal.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I finally got my Chu back from the shop where it received a mechanical overhaul and was polished as well, I am
very impressed with this horn, I can see why they have the following they do, would like to hunt down an art deco
model sometime soon, but for now this horn sings. Only two problems with the sax, it gurgles on the low B, Bb,
however after talking to the tech he told me a few things to try and I have not gotten around to doing them yet, the
other issue is the G# bar is just too short for my liking, any easy and effective methods of making the bar longer
short of soldering something in place, the rest of the ergo's I can handle pretty much without problem. I may end
up selling the 28m I just bought because I like this horn so much, went with quality leather pads and flat metal
resonators, thanks to everyone who helped me with this horn. Jay

Pics,

http://s1018.photobucket.com/albums/af306/jayehrgott/conn chu berry/

·
Registered
284 Posts
White Roos look great on these. They feel a little beefier, but play great. I'd use reso's that match the horns finish. I like the airtight maestros myself.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Just a couple thoughts after looking at the pics...

Over all a nice job .....

Things I would consider experimenting with
#1 - Open up the pad heights - Conns were not meant to have low heigths
#2 - Enable alt Eb - it effects the tuning on the F especially
#3 - regarding the gurgling - find a larger chamber mpc - my red letter 95 RPC screams on these horns with no issues - smaller than a C* might have issues.
#4 - to lengthen the G# - try some epoxy putty - easily removable with a little heat if you dont like it.

·
21,035 Posts
My 1923 gurggles but my 1927 does not. On the gurgglers, I just remove the low C key, find a cork like a flute head cork, hotglue it in the lowest point of the bow, replace the key and move on. The alto with the bow cork is actually my main player of about 20 altos I have. I just got a really nice gold chu alto and probably finishing it this week.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
743 Posts
Graysax,
Thanks for suggesting the alt Eb be activated. I have it activated on all my vintage horns that have it, and I have no issues with leakage. I agree with you that tuning, and voicing, of the F is affected by the alt Eb tone hole. The prevailing wisdom here at SOTW is to reverse-spring these keys, and I, like you, prefer the manufacturer's setting. Perhaps more people will try setting the alt Eb in working condition if this information about the F gets more widespread.
Sax Magic

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'll second white Roo pads with flat metal washers, I like the vintage look and my '25 Conn tenor has a great sound.

Mark

·
21,035 Posts
I do try to enable the Eb but some horns have a set-up that is hard to get the proper pressures on that small pad right. If I spend an hour and waste 3 pads, I usually give up and spring it closed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,004 Posts
I had my 1923 conn NW done with white roo pads and flat resos.
dvze did it for me and he would know exactly what the resos were.
A great combination with that horn.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts