Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Holton 241 Tenor; Buescher Art Deco Aristocrat Alto
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beloved but rather beaten up 241 plays consistently sharp. I've tried pulling the mouthpiece out. Anyone got some tips on alternative necks or solutions?
Anything gratefully received.
Cheers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,015 Posts
Stay away from non-original necks, although IF you insist on getting one, just get the Eastern Music Power Neck as it only costs $80. But I still wouldn't wade into that bog, myself...

...if the above suggestions do not alleviate the situation...

~ if she is pretty much sharp the same up and down the range of the horn....have a tech lower the keyheights a bit.

I am just finishing up a 241 here, about to ship her out....the keyheights are on the low side, particularly compared to contemporary horns....

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something or there is something I don't yet understand, but isn't the solution to an instrument that plays sharp throughout to pull the mouthpiece out and make the instrument longer? If registers and octaves are out of tune with one another then there are other issues involved like input pitch, and the mouthpiece effective volume not matching that of the "missing cone".

I realize that on certain vintage instruments designed when large chamber mouthpieces were common, that modern mouthpieces that are longer with a narrow chamber have to be pulled out to nearly the end of the cork where they are unstable. In such cases the shank of the mouthpiece can be extended or a change in mouthpiece is in order.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,879 Posts
My beloved but rather beaten up 241 plays consistently sharp. I've tried pulling the mouthpiece out. Anyone got some tips on alternative necks or solutions?
Anything gratefully received.
Cheers.
Any luck ?
lowering the key heights temporarily is easy for troubleshooting.
take a slice of note paper 4" long 4 layers thick as folded. Get this under the upper stack & lower stack feet each. Hold in place with tape. Play ! This should lower the keys Heights about.020-.028 / 1.0
Automotive lighting Amber Automotive tire Wood Gold
Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Rolling Gas

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,895 Posts
consistent sharp even if you pull out , to me, means that you are probably playing consistently sharp.

If you are playing on very old and soft reeds you may be doing this but I doubt that the reason why one plays consistently sharp has anything to do with the horn or the mouthpieces if that consistent.

·
41,895 Posts
but even then, “ consistently sharp”... by pulling the mouthpiece at some point something will get in place but if it keeps on being sharp the players is bending the note sharp even when physically at least some notes should fall in place? There is a relationship between any alto or tenor neck and even though they are different they are unlikely to be “ consistent” throughout the horn isn being flat or sharp

·
Registered
Holton 241 Tenor; Buescher Art Deco Aristocrat Alto
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. Apologies for being silent for a while. I'll try a larger chamber mouthpiece although I'll be gutted as I love my current set up.
The neck may not be original, certainly doesn't resemble other 241 necks I've seen in photos. I will also have the cork replaced so I can put less mouthpiece on.

·
41,895 Posts
if the neck is not original then you are starting a trip which may or may never have an end.

You are going to just use a stochastic method (by chance try to hit the right combination) of mouthpieces and it may never deliver a horn in tune.

you don’t even need to have the cork replaced (on an non original neck) to jus see if pulling out the moutpiece will delive a more in tune horn, just put some teflon tape around the cork and try to get your horn to be tuned. Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts