1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
How do you know that its Zoot's S/N?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I posted Zoot's serial number a while back while selling a Radio Improved for a friend of mine ...

...A friend of mine that used to know Zoot a little bit and saw his horn up close a few times. The serial number stuck in his head because he also had a Radio Improved in the "20 xxx" serial range, and the end of Zoot's serial number "303" was my friend's house number.

This ebay horn has been relacquered since Zoot owned it (according to my friend), and of course it could probably never be "authenticated". But, it ought to go cheap being a relacquer ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
573 Posts
I would be vry careful, to believe this is Zoots's actual former horn is quite a stretch, without documentation this could go in the once upon a time category. But, I have a photo of Zoots playing a "Super Sax" Which includes New largebore, Cigar Cutter, Radio Improved and the rare Jimmy Dorsey horns, pre Balance Actio models. Also, if this horn plays good as it looks in good shape in photo the $2,600. bid is within a fair buy. ( I think these horns are the best, at least mine is, but, perception is reality) Good luck. bb

·
Registered
494 Posts
Of course it can't be verified (without a whole lot of leg work, anyways) ... but my friend is an older experienced horn player and a bit of a gear geek who spent more than a few minutes with Zoot. I trust his recollection ...

I don't suggest anyone buys the horn because it "might have once been" Zoot's of course. But again, I do trust my friend's recollection.

According to my friend, Zoot's horn was almost without lacquer at the time, and somewhat green & grungy. If this is the same horn, it's been relaccquered. The shots of the engraving in the auction photos seem to bear this out.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I agree that the engraving in the auction picture indicates that the horn was re-lacquered some time ago, even though the description says that it is the original lacquer.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Not his sax!?

In this thread is says that he played a "lacquered Radio Improved Serial# 20308 which he played with Rubber Brilhart or Woodwind Co's mpcs." That's a different serial number than the horn in the auction.

altoblues: You are getting old and senile! ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts