Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
If the case is hand-made then $2000.- is still in the negative profit range for the manufacturer. It's not the materials but the time that goes into making something like this, not to mention the hardware etc.
So, with all due respect, just like a hand made custom tailored suit will be easily distinguished from an industrial product by the lack of perfection of the button holes, you'll see imperfections with any product like this.

Nobody forces anybody to buy a product like this, there are cheaper alternatives out there. If the OP visited the show room first to look at a finished case and the one he received is not of the same quality, then I agree he has a point, otherwise this sounds more like a case of buyer's remorse.

The only thing I really didn't like was the hex nut that hardly grabbed. That is a serious flaw

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,245 Posts
If the case is hand-made then $2000.- is still in the negative profit range for the manufacturer. It's not the materials but the time that goes into making something like this, not to mention the hardware etc.
So, with all due respect, just like a hand made custom tailored suit will be easily distinguished from an industrial product by the lack of perfection of the button holes, you'll see imperfections with any product like this.

Nobody forces anybody to buy a product like this, there are cheaper alternatives out there. If the OP visited the show room first to look at a finished case and the one he received is not of the same quality, then I agree he has a point, otherwise this sounds more like a case of buyer's remorse.

The only thing I really didn't like was the hex nut that hardly grabbed. That is a serious flaw
Don't take it out on me. I want a Manning case but I am not going to ship my horn, so that is a no go. I was merely pointing out that others who custom manufacture cases also charge a lot - relative to mass-manufactured cases. I am not saying it is a lot for something individually made.

I do wish there were some intermediate solution, so there wouldn't have to be a perfect fit, just compact bari cases made to standard molds. Pricewise, they would come in somewhere in the between. The J. Winter cases for Keilwerth are a good example of well-fitting, compact and protective without being custom fitted, The Bam Hitech case that I have for sale is excellent in terms of fit and protection for my Thomann low Bb sax and if I owned a vehicle, it would work fine for me. However, it is too bulky to carry around and using it as a backpack doesn't work, because I am lean and it literally makes abrasions of the skin over my spine when I carry like that.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for your reply, Mr. Manning.

Herewith my shorter review. You can expect the following when purchasing a Manning custom case:
  • A solid case that fits your horn, no matter how unique the horn.
  • A textured surface designed to minimize everyday wear/scratches.
  • A robust backpack strap system.
  • Additional costs to transport your horn to and from the Manning Custom shop.
  • A project requiring close management of your custom features. Colors are reliable, and other details deserved closer attention to ensure you get what you expect.
  • Flexible timing. Mr. Manning will work to meet your schedule when you are present. I recommend leaving yourself margin to clear up possible discrepancies between your expectations and the product.

Again, it's a good case. I was disappointed by the differences between my expectations/understandings and the finished case.

Best,
J.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008-
2,387 Posts
I've bought 2 Manning cases(second hand).Both are great.Yes ,a little heavier than Bams.The duo tenor/soprano case with wheels is super.It works!.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts