Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the date has been set for the 35th Annual Sax Symposium: Jan. 20-21, 2012. If you are interested in performing a recital or giving a lecture/clinic, proposals are due no later than Sept. 29, 2011.

Plan now to attend one of the only events here in the U.S. wholly devoted to saxophone, and meet up with fellow SOTW members. And best of all... it's all FREE!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not familiar with this event, but it looks awesome. How big is it, in terms of attendance? Is it hard to get into the various recitals and lectures?

Very tempted to try to make it out there, even though it's a ways from home. Thanks in advance for any info!

·
27,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not familiar with this event, but it looks awesome. How big is it, in terms of attendance? Is it hard to get into the various recitals and lectures?
I would say hundreds of people attend; perhaps five hundred or more over the course of the weekend, and maybe even up to a thousand depending upon who is performing in the free concerts at night. Certain recitals/lectures may fill to capacity in some of the smaller rooms (like the chorus room), but for the most part, the most popular events (such as the clinics by the featured artists) are held in the main theatre in the arts center which has plenty of room for everybody.

It may not be too late to secure a spot in the vendor room if you want to show/sell your cases.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the info Grumps, that's great to know. Sounds like a great event!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
Our 6 Brown Brothers retrospective is happening!

10:30am Saturday in Theater Space (the black box).

More about it

·
27,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see you updated the time Paul. Lookin' forward to it.

For others that are playing, please let us know and we'll make sure to have a good group come to support you. Also check the Symposium thread in the lounge for social events; i.e. bars and restaurants where we meet up. Each year more and more of us SOTW'ers get together to enjoy this event. It's a ready-made Saxophone Convention and all for FREE!

·
Registered
506 Posts
thanks for keeping us informed about this, Grumps. I look forward to attending this year.

is it my imagination, or does Dale Underwood look younger each year?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm not a first-timer, but I've only been there a couple times before. Seems that I only remembered to check the dates the weekend after the symposium. But this year I'll be there!

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,231 Posts
Cool. You guys should wear clown suits and makeup.
I saw Steve last night - he is OK with a costume - But NO BLACK FACE PAINT. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 201
588 Posts
Well, if it's really international, some day they should come to Europe ;)
Since it's sponsored by the US Navy, that won't happen.
You guys will just have to start your own. You can call it "The Real International Saxophone Symposium".

·
27,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
But this year I'll be there!
Cool Rondalo. Be sure to check our social gatherings in the lounge thread.

It is sponsered by Selmer. They fly in some French guys most years.
For the last couple of years they had a drawing to give away a Series III alto, but I didn't see their seminar on the schedule for this year.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts