Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2008 Navy Band Sax Symposium at GMU will be Jan. 18 and 19 in Fairfax, Virginia. All of you folks that talk about getting together and such should now make plans to be there. Note on their website that they're currently taking applications for those wishing to give seminars and/or recitals. Also note Eddie Daniels is the featured jazz guest artist.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Are there going to be any bass players there? :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you mean Bass sax... then yeah.

Anyhow, there's no football game to keep me away this year, so I'm definitely in and will get the discount room at the swank hotel again. It'll be about ten miles from GMU, and I know some folks like to stay a bit closer, but if there's enough people interested, I might be able to get them the bargain rate as well (usually around $50 a night). A few years ago, some folks from the Symposium joined me at the hotel bar where they had a piano and let us entertain late into the night, but last year that wasn't possible because they had some crazy video gaming music festival going on (where bands playing video game covers in an open banquet room drowned out everything on the main floor where the bar was). Never know this year though, but I'm sure if we all wanted to get together and jam or trade horns for a bit we'd figure out something. But if anyone is interested in the swank hotel deal, just send me a PM. It will be a very nice place; indoor pool, gym, room service, restaurant, and all that.

I'm gonna be sure to catch the Old Line Quartet on the first Friday night (they play at 7pm, just before the concert band show at 8), as they were my favorite act from last year's show. However, I'll probably be at the bar at the Red Hot and Blue down the street for a meal before the Friday show should anyone wish to meet up beforehand.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
I plan to make the trek from NJ. Its only 3-3.5 hours for me and I stay with an ol' college roomy of mine in Herndon due NNW of GM.

I'm usually free for dinner Sat if anyone wants to meet up. I went to the Tai place across from GM last year and saw Chris Potter come in for some takeout.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 201
587 Posts
I am planning to be there also.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
Is the Symposium running through Sunday at all? I'm flying into DC on Sunday for work; staying till Wed AM. Would love to check it out...

·
3,383 Posts
Ah, I just saw the schedule. Looks like I'm out of luck.

·
3,383 Posts
On Monday afternoon I'll be explaining the competitive landscape of the GRC software market to our sales team. Your idea sounds like more fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts