Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blue Bossa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHe21hzOkWU

Doxy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riyp2jJGXNM

Last Sunday afternoon's gig in Penang, Malaysia - a true United Nations quintet - we've all played together before but not as this unit, and not this set, and unfortunately there was no rehearsal. The bassist is one of the finest in Malaysia, one of the few who plays contrabass and not electric. It was nice to play with a trumpeter too.

Sound was recorded on a Zoom H2 (you can see it in front of the trumpeter), balanced and bass boosted, then dubbed back into the video.

My wife and daughter have been driving me nuts lately watching American Idol for what seems to be 24/7...if that is the best musical talent America has to offer, I shouldn't be so reticent about posting these clips. At least we're spending our musical energy paying homage to some of the greats, like Sonny Rollins and Joe Henderson - even if we're not in the same league we're still channeling some of the joy. This gig was a blast.

We also did Work Song and Milestones, which started off a bit ragged since we hadn't played them together before, which I recorded but did not post.

I'm playing my beloved Super 20.

Waddaya think? Constructive criticism welcomed.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
It's obvious that you all know how to play your instruments. It's also obvious that you haven't played much together. To be honest I wouldn't play in public without having had more practice. You've got your heads in the music on the stand and not in playing with and off each other. You didn't own the music you played.

I'd like to hear what you can do when you've knitted together and have got some tunes you at least know by heart.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your comments, Wade. Your point is well taken. I will pass this thread on to my bandmates in an attempt to spur them to rehearse! I've tried. Not so easy when everyone has a day gig, family obligations, etc. etc.

I made the commitment a long time ago, that whenever confronted with the decision of whether to play or not play, I would always choose "play".

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for your comments, Wade. Your point is well taken. I will pass this thread on to my bandmates in an attempt to spur them to rehearse! I've tried. Not so easy when everyone has a day gig, family obligations, etc. etc.

I made the commitment a long time ago, that whenever confronted with the decision of whether to play or not play, I would always choose "play".
Self-edited... (twice)

So Ron... What's the story behind the avatar?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Nothing really to say about the jam, but I loved Malaysia when I visted there several years ago. Such a beautiful country, so much cultural diversity, and the food was out of this world! Do you live there?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I do live in Malaysia...if you get a chance to visit on holiday, bring your axe. Even though there is not a whole lot of jazz and improvised music here, we'll find a place to jam. We'll definitely find a place to eat!

As for the avatar, as young Coltrane fanatics about 30 years ago an artist friend of mine produced a painting of 'Trane and gave it to me, using the black-and-white "Love Supreme" album cover as a model (there is a tiny little me playing alto in the lower left hand corner of the painting). As the paint dried the colors were off and it looks really white. We called it "Whitetrane" as a pun on "Blue Train". I've still got the original in my music room. If you're interested, the artist's current work can be viewed at http://www.redbubble.com/people/lightleake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts