Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've noticed a LOT of love for these on here and i can see why. just wondering as i will likely be purchasing a 2 screw lig soonish which are you favourites and why? the ones i've looked at are selmer, ishimori, marc jean and thats about it...

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
It may depend on your mouthpiece. On my RPC I use the basic one that came with it. No brand, just USA stamped on it. These cost about £4 and are really very good.

Various other brands are Zinner and Rico

Selmer and Vandoren are also good, but cost a lot more.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
On my tenor STM, I use a Rico HTS2, with the 2 screws on top. Why ?
_ as the screws are up there, the lig doesn't destroy the reed. This is key when using synthetics which last long
_ tightening the screw doesn't influence the reed position, like the original Link tends to do
_ they are not too expensive and look neat
The slanted cap which cannot stand upright is ridiculous. Rico was smoking grass (cane ?) on that day....
AFAIK, Jody Jazz is shipping this model with their mps.

·
28,888 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,354 Posts
some of the standard 2 scew ligs that come with pieces in the box are not so well made, the screws don't really screw or get stuck.
But a well made one simply does the job it's supposed to do. It will last for years AND it won't cost you an arm and a leg

·
28,888 Posts
Selmer and Vandoren are also good, but cost a lot more.
I just got a Marc Jean, and it comes into the more expensive category, but I prefer it to Selmer or Vandoren. I'm just trying it on a session and will probably switch to this in favour of my previous Rovner Evo (Star).

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I like Selmer 404. It fits some metal mouthpieces and holds the reed securely.

It fits mine ( DV ) like it was made for it.

Even though I like everything gold on the sax the silver looks good on a gold mouthpiece.

It's well made.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i personally like the idea of inverted designs. They seem to make more sense with the tightening not occuring where the ligature conacts the reed

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
If the lig fits well you shouldn't squash the reed. If the reed is getting distorted either you're tightening too much or the lig isn't a good fit.

I find the standard traditional ligatures work fine and I've not obtained a major advantage spending lots of money on an alternative. Some ligatures are getting as expensive or more so than mouthpieces. For me the standard ligs are the best value and I only bother with somethign else if the standard one doesn't fit.
For instance, with metal Vandoren V16 pieces the only ligs I've found to fit are a Rovner and the very expensive Vandoren Optimum. There should be a BG version that fits but they weren't in stock last I checked.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
i personally like the idea of inverted designs. They seem to make more sense with the tightening not occuring where the ligature conacts the reed
Also my understanding.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
On my RPC I use the basic one that came with it. No brand, just USA stamped on it.
Those have always slipped for me on the RPC's I've ordered. Maybe I just need to scuff them up a bit, but they're generally relegated to my drawer of spares. Some of my favorite two-screws are bent up old ligatures I've picked up from past trades, or that came with vintage horns I've picked up in the past. Pre-scuffed, I guess.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
Those have always slipped for me on the RPC's I've ordered..
Very strange. The thing I really like about the 'USA' 2-screw ligs that came with my RPCs is that they don't slip at all, even if you don't tighten them way down. They conform perfectly to the mpc and seem to get a good grip. Also the screws work very smoothly, which is important.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
Well, the last two tenor ligatures I got with my RPC's I didn't seem to favor due to the slipping; at least in comparison to my other more worn two-screws. I do keep one on my spare rollover however, and would use it in a pinch.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
On my tenor STM, I use a Rico HTS2, with the 2 screws on top. Why ?
_ as the screws are up there, the lig doesn't destroy the reed. This is key when using synthetics which last long
_ tightening the screw doesn't influence the reed position, like the original Link tends to do
_ they are not too expensive and look neat
The slanted cap which cannot stand upright is ridiculous. Rico was smoking grass (cane ?) on that day....
AFAIK, Jody Jazz is shipping this model with their mps.
I agree with everything above. Plus,
  • Unlike some "screws on top" ligs, it doesn't seem to scratch the top of the mouthpiece.
  • I love the cap and never even considered the fact that it won't stand upright. That's not a feature I care about.
  • The Rico H-lig doesn't seem to be as fragile as the original Harrsion H-lig.
  • They are relatively inexpensive and look nice (deserves to be stated again)
  • Most importantly, they hold the reed on the mouthpiece!
I use Rico H-ligs on soprano, alto, tenor and bari. The only bad thing I can think of is that only 4 sizes are available for saxes: soprano HR, alto HR, tenor/bari HR, and tenor metal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Vandoren Masters for me. Its inverted and has a couple of embossed bars that make contact with the reed. Just seems to work right every time with no fussing about location on the reed, amount of pressure etc etc.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I like the 404 for tenor. Over priced but well made . And the cap fits it well and lets just the right amount of air in so it breathes , but stays moist.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
Well, the last two tenor ligatures I got with my RPC's I didn't seem to favor due to the slipping...
I remove the lacquer from my "vintage" Selmer ligs for HR pieces - helps reduce the tendency to slip.

I also like the Francois Louis and Charles Bay ligs for HR mouthpieces.

For metal mouthpieces, I prefer the Selmer 404/402 ligatures.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
If only Selmer made a 406 that fit the Otto Link STM Bari pieces...;-(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts