Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited a MVI alto from my uncle dating to 1955. About a year ago, I bought my own MVI alto dating to 1967. I am head over heels for the '67, but a teacher reccomended to me to sell the '67 keep the '55 and buy a MVI tenor. I don't really want to sell the '67, but I am certainly not going to sell something my uncle gave to me. Should I keep both or ditch one?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
13,032 Posts
Ditch one of them in a hurry - aim west about 100 miles or so!!!


Keep one in the closet. You aren't out anything keeping them both. From your profile you should be good to go for many years. Put one away and forget about it for a few years.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
12,711 Posts
Do you need the cash?

They arent making them anymore.

Just because you want a tenor doesnt mean you need a VI either. Even if you sell the 67 you will have to drop some significant dough to pick up a VI tenor. I wouldnt sell one just because someone said so. Most of us are regret the horns well sell more than the ones we didnt buy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
I have a VI from 69 and think that the mid 100k horns are great in general.
The figured out the bow placement and intonation is generally great.
There was more tinkering with some of the early 6's.
Another vote here for keep them both - absolutely.

It's almost guaranteed that you will one day wish you had kept both.
As a sub thread how about if a few people chime in on the horns they did sell that they now wish they had kept.
I'll bet 10:1 that everyone who's been around saxophones for years will have their own tales of regret to share.
Anybody here regret free regarding unloading horns?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Definitely keep both --- those 5 digit altos especially ones that old are hard to come by and when you do they cost ALOT of $$$ ( as did the one I have ) so if you did not pay for it its worth keeping --- also if it is setup properly it probably will play better than your other one . and anyway ,these days if you sell both altos there will still be a difference to pay for a GOOD vi tenor --- dont sell either one or you WILL regret it


Do you have pictures? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Pgraves said:
Another vote here for keep them both - absolutely.
Yup, add another vote to keep them both.

I had a couple of MKVI tenors a couple years ago. One museum quality mint '72, one relaq '68. I liked them both. I had a couple techs lsiten to them while I played and I let them play for me to listen too. Turned out I liked the '68's tone a bit better. I'd love to have the other one back too.

I sold the '72 for the outrageous price of $3250 in 2001 (I made $0 on the deal). I still have the '68. I seem to rotate between it, a 50's Buescher 'crat and a SA80II. All great tenors.

Find a good $1000-1500 tenor if you really have to have one. There are lots of good deals out there. Wait until the kids need braces or the house needs a new heating system before you sell one of your MKVI's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,567 Posts
Keep em' both. A backup horn is a lovesome thing.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top