Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011-
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first recording date playing Bass Sax on a guitar players album... thought some of you might get a kick out of it... Bass sax is such a beast to play, like playing in molasses - pretty good for multiphonics... I soloed at the top and end - I cut out the middle of the tune since it's unreleased...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1252848/Otto%20Bass%20Sax.mp3

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
The bass sax is not as hard to play as people make it out to be. What it is, unfortunately, is too damn distinctive. Its peculiar stertorous harrumphing quality makes it out of place in 99.9 per cent of all conceivable musical contexts. It doesn't even evoke a useful stereotype (elephant, dinosaur, fat guy).

·
Registered
369 Posts
There were some interesting sounds coming out of the beast :)

Paulwl - The .1% that I reckon works imho (as a listener) is as a more-flexible bass line replacement for tuba in dixie stuff.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Very grunty yet sweet. Sounds like you could really feel the reed vibrating. Nice control. Would love to have a bash at one sometime, but I don't think there's even one in this little country.

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
1,056 Posts
Hi Matt. Very interesting. Was that played on the Conn you just sold? Or on the new, stencil horn you're now using?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.