Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Phil sent me one of these to try. I get to try a lot of mouthpieces and I don't always enjoy it anymore even when they are good or great pieces. Most of the time I'd still just rather be on my own that I'm used to. I'm not wowed by the wow factor anymore.

Having said that I took this out and tried it and it is has been so much fun to blow on I can hardly find the words for it. So let me quote Phil here as I consider this description to be amazingly accurate.

It's a dark mouthpiece but loud as hell and very free-blowing and it gets a little brighter as you push into it but not much and physically it has a very large chamber with a nice rollover baffle but while the sound is dark it's also very bold and vibrant.

He sent me a 110, I'm usually on a 95 STM EB. No matter , it has been very easy to not only get comfortable with but to explore and I've barely scratched the surface. It has a huge easy dynamic range and a lot of clarity and flexibility. I'm extremely impressed. The last metal pieces that really impressed me were the excellent Ted Klum FocusTones. But I like this much more. I played some swing, some classical, some funk and it adapted very well to each approach.

Phil I think this may be your finest creation to date. Bravo!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
What is the name of this new piece from Phil? Pics?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
I mean would it be ok for you to post pics....

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Yes I for one would like to see it - I dont see any issues in posting some photos so snap away because the suspense over the last few months has killed us all off. Its going to be good for Phil and us to get back in the mouthpeice market with a new creation. Its due.

Kritavi have you played a Hollywood and if so how does it compare to that ? Is this the new Super New York Model that Phil has been seceretely working on in his dungeon ?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Check out Steve Neff's blog at neffmusic.com. You'll find everything you need to know about it, and there's also a sound clip and an evaluation of it.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
For those who just want the answer, it’s called the Super New York.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is not marked but I presume it is the Super New York. Looks great and I'll get photos posted. I've played many of Phil's tenor pieces. I like the Hollywoods but this seems more lively and quick in its response. Also I think there is more clarity and definition to the sound.
Usually when a mpc is very easy to acclimate to it seems like there is not much to it. This piece was not only instantly familiar but also has a lot of depth to explore. In that sense very similar to playing a Link double ring.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Yep - that just confirms my thoughts. I tried a copper New York Model once upon a time, and i know where they are coming from. I cant wait for this.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,790 Posts
Usually when a mpc is very easy to acclimate to it seems like there is not much to it. This piece was not only instantly familiar but also has a lot of depth to explore. In that sense very similar to playing a Link double ring.
I felt the same way. It was easy to play but it seems like there is a lot to explore about it.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,790 Posts
Nef - How focussed was the sound and also how clean where the harmonics (not altissimo but harmonics) ?
I'm not sure how to answer that question. It's not like an opinion is definitive. The sound was not as focused as other mouthpiece I have played. It's not like a Vandoren V16 or Guardala focus. In a big room it sounded spread sounding but against a wall it sounded amazing. It is very rich sounding which I guess is due to harmonics. There is a lot going on with the tone. Very thick and rich sounding which I love.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts