Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PRE-ORDERS for the 1st 10MFAN Soprano Mouthpiece:

10MFAN "VIRTUOSO"

This project has been so much fun and I am incredibly proud of how this mouthpiece has turned out!

After much thought about what I wanted to put out for a 1st soprano mouthpiece, I decided that the best way to go, would be to make an original design ALL-AROUND killer piece that can do it all. A soprano piece that a really large group of players could ALL enjoy and be proud to have in their arsenal.

The process is what makes original designs so much fun to make.

I realized that all the changes being made were putting me right in the direction of my highly successful Robusto tenor design.... so thats where I've taken it!
It has ended up as a medium large chamber with a Robusto baffle and floor.
This way, it is really a sensational all-around mouthpiece for tons of players to be able to enjoy. Very responsive because of the baffle, and a rich fullness because of the chamber.
This piece has lots of power available!

Looking at it now as the design is finished, this was really the right way for me to start with the 1st soprano piece.

I opted against making something that was too dark or something that was too bright, so I made something that will be accessible for a huge group of players. Something that can be warm and full and gentle or very powerful, that allows for some brightness too. It has great response top to bottom, but has what I consider to be the right resistance to push against. The length of the piece, the bore size and length, the baffle, the chamber, side walls, floor, and beak shape, all coordinate together to make this a VERY fun mouthpiece to play! It plays easy and has an excellent feel. The palm keys and low end are full, and it tunes great....and thats a big deal!
It’s been played on older horns and modern horns and I think we have really found the sweet spot that will allow this to work well for a HUGE number of players.

If I could to describe this mouthpiece in one sentence, it would be, "Simply put, its an INCREDIBLY fun mouthpiece to play!"

TIP OPENINGS:
5* (.055)
6 (.060)
6* (.065)
7 (.070)
7* (.075)

I am officially taking pre-orders for this mouthpiece starting RIGHT NOW.
These will only be available in the German bar stock hard rubber, (no Ultem), and every mouthpiece will be beautifully hand finished.
Once the 1st German bar stock piece is finished, I will add some pictures. Picture a mini Robusto in black with the gold rings at the shank.
I am planning on having the first 25 pieces done in about 4 weeks.

I am SO happy to make the announcement and finally welcome the 10MFAN Virtuoso soprano to my 10MFAN Mouthpiece line.

I am offering these for the introductory price of $335! :)

From the bottom of my heart, thank you all for your continued support and great feedback.

I will have my webmaster add this to the website over the next week, but until then.....
to get on the list, email me directly at: [email protected]

All the best,
Mark

·
Registered
198 Posts
Wow! I am so excited about this! I have been a long time 10mfan mouthpiece player. I've had the Robusto for over 7 years and added a Black Widow a couple of years ago. These are so much fun to play and essentially ended my mouthpiece search. I have been dreaming of a soprano that could offer the incredible response and flexibility of the tenor mouthpieces. I know soprano is a different animal but I love the idea of having the option of a new original piece for soprano! I love that you call it fun to play, that has been the theme of your pieces since they came out!

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thank you so much! I’m so glad you’re loving those pieces and you will definitely go crazy for this one.
I am sending the 2 final prototypes that I had finished to a couple of people for audios
I’ll be able to put up something shortly. Very excited about this.
This was an absolutely amazing day of support from all over the net, and I am humbled and grateful for that. To have this many players want this piece in about a 12 hour period, without any pictures or sound clips, speaks volumes. People respect and trust the brand, and they know that they will be getting something very special. I am honored by that.
Pics and sound clips will come in the next 10 days or so.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a heads up that I am letting dealers in for the sop pieces by Monday.

Here is a picture of the prototype in resin.
The final version that we put out for the public will all be in the German bar stock hard rubber and they will be very shiny, black, and painted with gold paint.
This is just a little teaser because I don’t have the finished product in rubber yet. This will allow you to see the baffle and floor.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys,
Thomann contacted me and told me they are very excited to carry these sop pieces, so stay tuned, if you are in or near Germany.
They are VERY big supporters of my mouthpiece line, and they should have their first order of these in late November... just in time for the holidays.

Contact them to have them put something aside for you, if you are interested.

All the best, mark

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
If this piece is anything like the Robusto, its going to be a complete success! You made a new standard for modern mouthpieces IMO, and this will be the soprano edition...finally!! I can't wait to play it. I have a feeling ill be picking up my soprano more often now!

- Saxaholic

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bill!
How have you been? Hope you are doing great.
I haven’t made a piece that you haven’t loved, and this will be no exception.
These days, it seems like the sop mouthpieces you get from modern mouthpiece makers, are either some copy of a Link or a Selmer Soloist, or the same $40 or so Bari blank that so many use and put their name on. Pretty pathetic, really. That’s part of the reason why this project was very important to me. The Virtuoso is completely original and has a beautiful vibe that is completely it’s own.
It’s an extremely well-balanced and very responsive piece. It can be gentle or powerful and everything in between. It’s really just a super fun mouthpiece to play. I was never a big lover of the soprano, to be honest with you. I realize now that it was just that I never had a mouthpiece that made it really fun for me.

That has all changed now.

Stay safe and give a call so we can catch up.
All the best, Mark

·
Registered
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
4,776 Posts
Excited to hear some sound clips Mark! I've been looking for something to make my soprano speak better, decided to wait and see if this suits me!

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi bro!
That’s awesome. There is so much excitement about this piece already and I’m so happy about that.
I have a friend who is getting one in the next few days and I’m excited to hear what he comes up with. It’s always so exciting for me when I put out something new. There is such great joy in that.
Stay tuned for some clips and I’ll talk to you soon.

All the best, Mark

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That’s great.
I look forward to you getting a chance to play on this.
It’s fun and a breath of fresh air for the soprano market.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The first audios are coming soon.

Stay tuned and thank you for all the orders so far.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks!
Unfortunately, you’re going to have to wait a little longer.
I will have the first group of finished pieces here in about 2 1/2-3 weeks.

Cant wait!!!!!....but I have to also. :)

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi guys,
I hope everyone is doing great.
There is so much interest in this piece already, and I am very grateful for that. The audios will help any of the undecided, for sure.
This piece is very versatile and flexible and the audios will show that.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LATEST UPDATE: REALLY GREAT NEWS!

I sent the mouthpiece to Reggie Padilla, who is a friend and a phenomenal saxophone player. He is playing on my Robusto mouthpiece on tenor because he loves it so much, and he was so psyched to check out the soprano piece first.

He wrote me tonight and gave me a list of the other pieces that he’s played on soprano, (which include many of the major players, as you can imagine). He told me the 10MFAN Virtuoso piece is by far the best soprano piece he has played. That means the world to me!
He said it is so much fun and so easy to play, and just so flexible. He felt exactly the same way about it as I did.
He said the intonation is great, the low-end is very easy, and the palm keys speak incredibly well for him. He said on all of his other soprano mouthpieces, the palm keys were always way too thin or he had trouble getting them out well, but not with this one. He said he’s never been able to get altissimo comfortably, on soprano but he can with this piece. I have no idea why anybody would want to go up there on soprano, but I’m glad to hear that the altissimo comes out easily for those who dare to mess with their animals ears at home. :)

Reggie said that it can be a gentle player, but it can be incredibly loud too. He said to me it’s just an amazing all around piece that does everything right.
After getting the email from him, I am more than confident that the soprano market is going to really embrace this!

He said that Theos enlightened ligature is an excellent fit for the mouthpiece, so other ligatures that are that size, will work well.
I am leaning on the soprano players here at SOTW to let me know what other ligatures are that size so that I can recommend those for the mouthpiece.

If you are tired of the same old options that seem to be beyond repetitive in the soprano mouthpiece market, like the Selmer Soloist copy, the hr Link copy, and the Bari soprano copy....this will be TRULY be a breath of fresh air for all of you guys.
He sent me 3 initial recordings right when he started playing the piece and it’s without any microphone or anything, and it sounds fantastic. He said he’s going to do nice recordings with the mic but I will put these others up anyway.

I am so glad for all of the feedback you guys gave me, because that made me decide to go with the all-around piece that does everything, and between my refacer, Reggie, and myself, I know it’s going to be a super hit.

Thank you all for your feedback and support.
3 teaser audios coming in about 20 minutes....

All the best, Mark

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reggie literally put the mouthpiece on for a minute and decided he loved it so much, that he made me three quick videos.

None of these are professionally done with any special mics or fancy recording equipment etc.
You can hear how vibrant the sound is without any of that. He will make well-produced videos too...stay tuned.

Autumn Leaves:

The Nearness of you:

Isn't she lovely:

·
Registered
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
4,776 Posts
Those are AWESOME, especially for just quick recordings. Definitely shows it's versatile already! He sounds awesome, that piece really can do it well! Shows the modern and vintage sounds very well. Excited to hear it on mic with backing!

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you!!!
He is so pumped up about it.
These were literally done within minutes of him getting it.

He will make some great mic'd recordings tomorrow.
I just wanted to show the raw side too, because someone will inevitably complain if it sounds too perfect with the microphone, and ask to hear it without a mic.
This will cover it all for everybody.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts