·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Double Post

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,793 Posts
Burning! I love his playing on this version! Never heard this before. Just for kicks, here is a version of Peep I did as a young Brecker head in my 20's fresh out of Berklee. It seems so cliche to me now with me pulling out every stock Brecker lick I knew but my heart was in the right place........Haha!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Burning! I love his playing on this version! Never heard this before. Just for kicks, here is a version of Peep I did as a young Brecker head in my 20's fresh out of Berklee. It seems so cliche to me now with me pulling out every stock Brecker lick I knew but my heart was in the right place........Haha!

I forgot the name when I posted it and the URL will say Pools.......whoops!
Thanks for sharing. Makes me wish I went to Berklee to hang out with all you players back 'in the day.' Loved all the Brecker licks - nice to see that you've evolved.

·
12,793 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Makes wish I went to Berklee to hang out with all you players back 'in the day.' Loved all the Brecker licks - nice to see that you've evolved.
Yeah, there's a bunch of licks in there that I keep playing over and over again. I listen to it now and I think "C'mon Steve, stop playing that same lick! This is like the 10th time!"

·
Registered
517 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,118 Posts
I believe I still have a transcription of that "Peep" solo that a teacher gave me years ago...

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,013 Posts
His live tone is so much more complex than his recorded tone in my opinion .
I found this to be true for every one of the greatest sax players I've been lucky enough to hear in live performance over the years. The recordings really don't come close to the live sound/experience. But at least they keep it alive.

·
12,793 Posts
His live tone is so much more complex than his recorded tone in my opinion . Just better for some reason in my opinion. Who can't love Brecker, amazing K
I also think Brecker played it safe in the recording studio. He seems to resort to his tried and true lines when recording in general but when I hear live videos or bootlegs I hear him going out on a limb more and playing stuff more on the edge for him. That is my impression anyways..........

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,013 Posts
I also think Brecker played it safe in the recording studio. He seems to resort to his tried and true lines when recording in general but when I hear live videos or bootlegs I hear him going out on a limb more and playing stuff more on the edge for him. That is my impression anyways..........
I think this is very common with lots of players, including or maybe especially the great ones. I've heard that it was the same with Charlie Parker. It's not surprising. When recording something for 'posterity' it's natural to not want to take too many chances. Playing live is a different situation altogether.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
With each passing year, I feel Michael’s loss more deeply. He was truly one of the greats, no ifs, ands, or buts. Excellent live Peeps footage, thanks I enjoyed it immensely. As for the live sound it is a remarkable thing to consider whether it truly can be captured in various studio settings or not. Just off the top of my head ‘Crisis’ on Jaco’s Word of Mouth album has that live feel in Michael’s sound captured in the mix I think. Then again that piece in particular is on such a massive scale of sound and intensity that Brecker held nothing back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts