Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an Aristocrat alto, serial number 643xxx. From the serial number chart on Steve Goodson's website, I judge it is a 1975-76 model. Selmer owned the company at that time.

It has some minor dents but the keying is sound, the neck is not dented. Original case and lacquer. I am wondering about the reputation of the Aristocrat alto of this time period. I am thinking of trying to trade for it.

Any opinions are welcome and appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
The Professor
281 Posts
Harrell, Pawn shop hopping today I came across a 668xxx aristrocrat alto in worse shape than the one you describe. A number of small dents, bad pads, some alignment work needed, and a bent bell lip. The asking price was $249. I hope the comparison helps? I don't think the one I was looking at was worth the $249 since it would probably cost about $650 to put it in good shape.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx, Mike - the one I was looking at had a bent bell lip too and most of the pads look like they're the original ones (almost 30 years old). I do my own repadding work on my clarinets and figured I could get a pad set for 40-50 bucks and repad it myself. I didn't believe the bent bell lip would effect it much, but I don't know.

When I lived in Champaign-Urbana (Illinois) I used to drive through Rolla a couple of times a year going from there to Fayetteville, Arkansas to visit family. Rolla is a university town, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Nothing inherently wrong with that vintage (i.e. 1975) of Aristocrat...I got a brand new Aristocrat in 1976 as a kid in fifth grade and it was considered a "student" horn. Very solidly-built, served me through high school, a veteran of a fair amount of abuse...stayed in regulation and had one pad job during that period. It was a clone of the Bundy's of that period.

I still have it for sentimental reasons, but it doesn't hold the monetary value of the earlier "pro" Aristocrats. If I was to sell it, I'd probably not get much more than $250-$300, and it STILL would need new pads. You might want to consider other horns that you could get for around $600 - $700 since it sounds like that is what you would minimally spend on that one to get it to a playable level.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke.
2,968 Posts
Harrell,
This is very late for a Buescher and these horns have very little in common sonically with the older Buescher saxes. These are an impoverished version of a once great horn. I would suggest saving a little more and gettin one of the older pro models, the difference willbe quite apparent once youhave played them together side by side.

·
The Professor
281 Posts
Harrell, Yes, Rolla is a "small" university town--the University of Missouri-Rolla. It has one fair pawn shop (7 saxes at the moment--all crappy student horns), two rather odd, tiny pawn shops, and a fairly good music store (great for guitars, etc-poor for saxes). I called the music prof on campus a while back and asked about playing oportunities for faculty. He never got back to me like he said he would. Must be a trumpet player or something. Not much of a music program here at UMR as best I can tell.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your reply, Mike. I thought I remembered seeing the UofMR there - Gee, I past through there a bajillion times on my way from Urbana-Champaign to Fayetteville, Arkansas.

I was surprised when I got serious about tenor sax and found out that, here in small town, South Dakota, we have a faculty jazz band, three orchestras to choose from, two community bands and the head of the music dept has his own touring, gigging combo. I'm really looking forward to my SG Unison for several reasons, one of which is that I will be auditioning and I want my horn to be in top shape.

·
The Professor
281 Posts
Wow Harrell, you are lucky to have so much music going on there!! UMR is an engineering school with just some filler-arts courses. I think there is only one music prof here and his position may be cut because of budget cuts from the state.
I am very much looking forward to your opinions of your Unison tenor after you get a chance to play it!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.