Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, any reason to be cautious of a 72 Mk VI tenor, which has been relacquered? There is one for sale (not locally, unfortunately!), which is reasonably priced for a MK VI in the UK. There are no bids on it at the moment-wonder why?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,552 Posts
Depending on how well the relacquer was done, it could be a great deal. Relacquering may devalue the sax for a collector but it still may be a really great player, which can be great news for the purchaser. The best way is to try it out.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
There are no bids on it at the moment-wonder why?
IMO it's a bit of a high starting price to get a massive number of bids, when the ad has such lousy photos.

The problem with UK lacquered horns is that I don't think there are any good lacquerers in the UK. This looks to be very buffed, but that is only an issue for collectors of course.

·
Registered
610 Posts
no reason to be cautious, other than I'd never buy or bid on a horn that I haven't seen, touched, or played. If you have your eye on it, you have to go and play it.
I bought a mark vi tenor last year, which is from 1964, and had been relacquered at some point in its life, I rang my friend the night before I was going to see it, he's a professional horn player here in the uk (and has a couple of mark vi tenors), and told him about it, he came with me to look at the horn and bought his mouthpiece. He played the horn for about 20 seconds, up against the wall, then turned to me and mouthed quietly "buy it, it's fantastic ....", so I did, and it's fantastic.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've been watching Mark VI tenors on eBay lately. (because I'm thinking of selling mine and want to see what they're going for lately.) it seems like they either get no bids or sell for around $4000. (I don't know how this compares to British Pounds.)

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
"The visibility and depth of the engraving has been affected by the relacquer"

It looks like it was never engraved at all and that silver plated key, lacquered body option would be a deal killer for me because it just plain looks bad. (apologies to Dexter)

·
2,294 Posts
or sell for around $4000. (I don't know how this compares to British Pounds.)
Currently that's a little over £2,500. However, MKVI tenors in the UK usually go for around £4000 these days - from shops at least.

I think the reluctance to bid on this one is due to a number of factors.
It has silver (or possibly nickle) keys, which is less popular than lacquered keys. Also, I don't think that most people actually like MKVI's that look like new. Add the fact that it's from the 70's (not that there's actually anything wrong with that). But the main issue I imagine is the fact that the add says that it's engraved, but that the buffing has removed most of the engraving. I can't actually see any engraving on the bell, which means that it's been excessively buffed, or possibly re lacquered more than once, neither of which is good.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,947 Posts
Could be a great player if rebuilt well - you really need to play this one to sort that out. If it was a budget rebuild, you'd have the extra expense of sorting out the horn - hoping, of course, that you have a competent tech that knows saxophones.

Regarding the two-tone finish: If whaler hates it, that's good enough for me. Buy it! :twisted:

(Kidding aside, I used to be dispassionate about the two-tone look as well. I currently have a Buescher Super 400 tenor in that combination that plays well enough that I no longer care how it looks.)

·
Registered
721 Posts
If it plays well it is a total bargain (forget what it looks like, unless you are bothered about reselling). At that price it is probably worth the risk, unless it would clean you out financially. (I'm tempted to bid myself, which should tell you something.)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for such quick replies, guys-unfortunately it's too far away from me to go and try. I don't need any more horns (have a 66R vintage lacquer tenor)-this one just seemed so much cheaper than others I have seen, it piqued my curiosity. It'll be interesting to see what it goes for!

·
Registered
610 Posts
It's about 350 miles round trip, you'd be there and back in a day - from your forum name are you a motorbiker? even faster than a car, take you no time at all.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
It's about 350 miles round trip, you'd be there and back in a day - from your forum name are you a motorbiker? even faster than a car, take you no time at all.
It ends in about 40 minutes though.

·
2,294 Posts
I would say that was a good price for a MKVI in the UK - even a re lacquered one. If it pays well, it was a bargain.

·
32,947 Posts
But the main issue I imagine is the fact that the add says that it's engraved, but that the buffing has removed most of the engraving. I can't actually see any engraving on the bell, which means that it's been excessively buffed, or possibly re lacquered more than once, neither of which is good.
The horn was not decorated with engraving. I think the comment was referring to the buffing on the engraving of the Selmer logo and 'round the serial number.

I've been watching Mark VI tenors on eBay lately. (because I'm thinking of selling mine and want to see what they're going for lately.) it seems like they either get no bids or sell for around $4000. (I don't know how this compares to British Pounds.)
Looks like you nailed that one. Funny, I didn't think that it would go there.

Someone put a lot of faith into the mystery shop that did the rebuild/relacquer. I've played too many bad rebuilds to risk that kind of money.

·
2,294 Posts
The horn was not decorated with engraving. I think the comment was referring to the buffing on the engraving of the Selmer logo and 'round the serial number.
You must surely be right - thanks for the correction. Misleading comment though.

Still not a lot of money for a VI tenor in the UK, almost regardless of condition. 2-2.5K was the average going rate about 15 years ago. Expensive eh? Shall we talk about petrol (gasoline)? ;)

·
32,947 Posts
Shall we talk about petrol (gasoline)? ;)
There must be a reason that it's sold by the liter. It would be much too expensive if sold in larger quantities.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I must admit I was tempted when it was £1800-£2000. Had to sit on my hands.........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts