Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tenor ID and Opinion

Conn-oisseur's, please help me ID this sax and give me a rough idea of the value if you can. It's serial M222xxx, which according to my research makes it 1969 vintage. And it looks like it has rolled tone holes, also a good sign. But I have no idea about the quality or value of such a horn. The few pics below aren't great, but it's all I've been able to get from the owner so far. I'm told it was played regularly, so I'm assuming most of the pads are in decent shape. The horn itself looks like it's in very good condition - few/no dents and good lacquer. Seller is local, so I can check it out thoroughly and play test.

Is it worth further consideration?

Thanks

View attachment 226280
View attachment 226282
View attachment 226284

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
More like 1925 or so.

Conn didnt make RTH after the war...that probably a New Wonder.

Sorry cant help with the values but I think I once bought one a few years back in nice shape for around 800

...but Im no vintage horn expert...but its an old Conn...I do know that much...split bell keys.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,998 Posts
Correct. Dave - remember, the M prefix was used on horns from the 20's-40's, then dropped somewhere later in the 40's.

Then reappeared in the 60's.

222,XXX = a NW II, Chu Berry

...a desirable horn in the market.

In good playing shape, original finish = $1200-1400.

As a project, original finish = $750ish

Good playing, relacquer = $850-1000ish

Project, relacquer = $450-600ish

·
4,580 Posts
I could be wrong, but was lacquer even an option on these? It looks buffed/re-lacquered to me anyway.

·
3,950 Posts
Another clue is the wire guards. They ended in ‘64? RTH ended in ‘48? And lastly the bell engraving says ‘20s and possibly melody C.
Although that mouthpiece says tenor. I use this list too.https://www.saxophone.org/museum/serialNumbers
Beware of the played regularly. Like when...1950. My motorcycle was running when I parked it....15 years ago!
The first picture is not exactly clear. Looks like the strap ring has wear. A sign of much use. Look at faces of palm keys for wear too. Check for endplay in the stackrods. Take your time. Jaye has it as top shelf @ $1400. Would you be happy keeping at $1600? Think of $800 on the buy(incl. MP value) and $800 in repairs. Now the good. Great Conn sound and looks really nice given the picture quality. NOT silver!
Good luck and post your outcome please.

·
Administrator
17,294 Posts
The mouthpiece in the third picture looks like a vintage 1930's Otto Link (a Master Link or Four****). That alone could have a value of 300-500 USD, depending on state, tip size and having the original ligature and/or cap with it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
As others have stated, appears to be a New Wonder II. I have a similar one [1925]. It is a beast. In good nic, easy and full blowing. I think most of these that are lacquered were probably bare brass originally and many were lacquered when it became widely available aka, first lacquer. This hurts the value but not the playability. It may be playable or may need a lot of work but a local sale is certainly worth checking I out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
I think most of these that are lacquered were probably bare brass originally...
Buffing off the silver plate from old horns so they could match the gold colored lacquered ones in sax sections was probably more common. If you're lucky, you might find one with its silver still intact underneath the lacquer.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Buyer is asking $4800 US. I was prepared to go as high as $900. Unless that horn is made of solid gold, I don't see that happening in any universe. Needless to say, I wished them the best of luck.

But I may try to buy just the mouthpiece if it's really worth something. Here are some pics of it:

View attachment 226438
View attachment 226440

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,946 Posts
Buyer is asking $4800 US...
“I tried to sell it, Honey, but no one is buying. I guess I’ll just have to keep it a while longer...”

Or

“Hey, my horn is worth $4800! It could go for more, but I don’t know.”

Or

“This horn plays better than a $6000 Selmer.”

It’d be interesting to know where the seller is getting their “information”.

·
Administrator
17,294 Posts
Buyer is asking $4800 US. I was prepared to go as high as $900. Unless that horn is made of solid gold, I don't see that happening in any universe. Needless to say, I wished them the best of luck.

But I may try to buy just the mouthpiece if it's really worth something. Here are some pics of it:

View attachment 226438
View attachment 226440
That's indeed (like I mentioned before) an original Otto Link Four**** (produced between 1935 and 1940), probably still in an original tip opening. It also has the original ligature and cap. If the tip opening is really small (2-4) they are less popular/valuable compared to 5/5*. A very special like for instance an HS (Hawkins Special) makes it more desirable. Depending on those details value could change from 300 to 600 USD.

·
4,580 Posts

View attachment 226438

View attachment 226440

LOL oh man thank you I needed that laugh today.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
I assume you mean $480 which is more in line. The M prefix was on all Conn saxes in the early years as it means saxophone.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a Conn bari, but I'm not really in the market for another tenor. This one just fell into my lap, or so I thought. The seller, a friend of a friend of a friend was asking me the value, so I asked you guys. Looked like a decent find, so I was prepared to make an offer until he laid that asking price on me. I never even bothered to tell him the actual value because he said he already had another buyer interested at his asking price. I find that very hard to believe. Will be interesting to see how much he wants for the mouthpiece.

Thanks for all the replies.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts