Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the 1960's, Selmer's intermediate line between the Bundy and the Mark VI was called SIGNET. These horns had an S shaped brace between the bell and the body, but otherwise looked much like Bueschers of the previous decade (at least comparing photos of Bueschers with my memory of these Signets).

Does anybody know anything about the design pedigree of these Signets? Were they indeed former Buescher designs, reused?

Thanks,

Sax Magic

·
Registered
711 Posts
My back up tenor is a Signet (without the S-brace). These horns don't have a great rep but this thing has served me really well - nice big tone, although the keywork is alittle clunky. Based on the Buescher 400 like Grumps says.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
You know, I have heard it before that Signets from the 1960's were based on the 400 design. But I never have seen one that looks like a post-Selmer 400. They don't have the large bell; square-ergo thumb pad, large nickel strap eyehole, metal ribbon pad guards or a number of other minor features unique to the 400.

To me they appear to be built on the post-Selmer Aristocrat design but constructed better than the Bundys of the same era.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,505 Posts
WHen selmer USA bought Buescher they continued making the horns in their new name with some tweaks (good or bad). I also found out from an old time engineer that the original Bundys were Big Bs ... compared two side by side and there wern't many diffs

I really like the S brace Signets. nice tone, etc. Though I don't have one anymore though wouldn't mind having one if i ever develop a "oldies favorites" shelf sometime.

just remember that there's Selmer USA and Selmer Paris. The mkVI was a Paris horn. Selmer USA later came out with their own Pro Horn based on the VI design. The Omega, ts/as 100s (et all nicknames) which wer every nice horns in their own

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
709 Posts
I mistakenly bought a Big B alto a few years ago that had no neck (my oversight--it was so stated in the ad). Thankfully, the neck from my HS days Signet fits if like a glove, and the two are virtually identical save for the neck brace. I'd say the Signet is more Big B based than 400.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Jason du Mars, on his International Sax Players Home Page, web site, stated that the Bundy came form the Aristocrat and the Signet from the 400. There is some evidence here to confirm that ... and some contrary views too! I would certainly like to learn more about this..

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
831 Posts
FWIW I checked my serial numbers on mine (Signet alto S-brace LH bell keys) and it was made between 1975 and 1980. Plays nice.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I owned a Big-B as well as a Signet S-brace at the same time. I would say they are much more similar than the 400s. Both has a very similar tone and keywork. Since my Signet is in near mint condition I kept that alto and sold the BigB. Keywork is a little clunky but light and pretty easy to get around on. Big sweet tone that has a nice focus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts