Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all.

I have a 1960s Berg Larsen stainless 100/0 mouthpiece. The ligature broke, so I got a replacement. The replacement is too small. I guess Berg is making their mouthpieces smaller now.

The circumference is 2.75" (without reed) and I have this fancy ligature that is driving me crazy. Rubber pads make it difficult to adjust the reed. So I'm looking for a replacement.

NOTHING FANCY, just a plain old ligature that will fit on a 2.75" berg + reed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,118 Posts
Body diameters vary among Bergs' periods/models. Is yours a "scoopbill"? They're bigger.
You can use a hr soprano lig on the earliest metal Bergs; maybe force one to fit yours in a pinch.
Try Rovner?

·
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

I don't know about scoopbill. But what I have is definitely bigger than the lig I got from wwbw.

I miss the days when you could walk into a music store and have a great selection of instruments and accessories. But you gotta roll with the times.

Notes

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Hi Bob. I've an old Berg stainless tenor piece; I don't know how old it is exactly, but it's got denim markings (as opposed to horizontal machine markings) on the table, and offset SMS so it's old enough. Anyway, it came without a ligature, so I use a BG cloth lig on it. It's a BG "Revelation Jazz", with model number L24RJ. Does the trick.

EDIT: Circumference at the widest part of the mouthpiece (the heel of the table) is 2¾".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,767 Posts
Got out the tape measure and measured starting from the edge of the table, around the mouthpiece and back to the same edge. "Circumference" may be the wrong word. Maybe "perimeter"?

A Selmer 402 fits my modern Berg and a Sakshama Guardala well (~2 5/8" circumference)

A Selmer 404 fits my modern Link (~3" circumference)

A Selmer ligature for HR soprano mouthpieces fits my Barone (~2 7/8" circumference) and is a bit on the tight side.

The shape of the mouthpiece is going to play a factor, but it seems like that HR soprano lig might be a good place to start. Your local music store might at least have a generic soprano ligature kicking around if you don't have one to test with.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I have one that fits but only have one screw. I presume you just need the lig.

I will be kapellmeister for Unity Ft. Pierce on Sunday morning or you can take me to lunch any day this week.

·
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses, checking them out.

Robert, I'll be in touch.

Notes

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Notes, can you attach me a picture of which Berg ligature yours is? I've got a vintage Berg ligature but it's the single-screw kind with the pressure plate that you don't see too often.

- Saxaholic

·
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks.

I'm meeting Robert of Stuart Sax, it's going to cost me a lunch with a very good friend -- totally worth it.

So if I don't come back, it fits.

Thanks for all your help.

Notes

·
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found. Stuart Sax to the rescue.

Thanks all for your help.

Notes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts