Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a horn(s). Found these two horns. Both have the lady engraving, plated keys and double socket necks. The tenor neck is not underslung but the alto is. The lacquer is in great shape, I'd say 90% and not relacquers. They're asking $850 for the alto and $1250 for the tenor. Apparently, they both play well pads are good and both were recently set up. Wondering if these are fair prices and if these horns sound and play as good as the early 50's horns which also don't have rolled tone holes.

·
Banned
566 Posts
these younger conns can sound very good,and the prices are great for a vintage 10M and 6M,if its true what they say about the pads being good.
the tenor necks have a tendency for worse damage than the earlier ones.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you think that these prices are good? I was thinking of buying both and maybe getting a deal.

·
Banned
566 Posts
one can always find these late model conns cheaper.
again,it depends on pad and body/neck condition.
if you can get a deal for both all well and good.

·
Registered
918 Posts
These are the ones on Reverb, right? Been watching them myself because I own similar models. I’ve kept mine for over 10 years, if that helps you decide on their quality. You have to like the older fingering, though. A friend of mine who spent over 60 years playing in pro swing and jazz bands and held a day job for 30 of those years as a band instrument repairman referred to mine as the “later student models.” But he played a Grassi, so what did he know. ;>)

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Extradarcafe,

Yeah Reverb. They don't seem like they are student models. I've been researching and found that the bore and placement of tone holes on the 10M never changed. So I would expect the differences to be non-rolled tone holes and most likely a different type of brass. Theoretically they should have a similar sound and I have read that they do have a good sound albeit a litter brighter.

You said similar models? What models do you own and I imagine you like them if you've had them the last 10 years.

·
Banned
566 Posts
maybe a muddying of the waters?
similar models?

6M and 10M conns were the professional model from conn when they were making saxophones.
conn did make other lower grade saxophones in the last few years,most know them as "shooting-star" models.

I own similar models.
a band instrument repairman referred to mine as the “later student models.” But he played a Grassi, so what did he know. ;>)

·
Banned
566 Posts
i actually have a 6M late model for-sale at the moment ,serial#534,xxx for $550USD, playing well but not serviced, and it has the lady-face engraving.
send me a PM if you would like.

·
Registered
918 Posts
You may want to check Reverb pretty soon, by the way. There’s already an offer on one of them (nope, not me).

I’ve owned two 6M, an old one with rolled holes and the one I kept, with straight ones. At least 3 10M passed through my hands but I don’t recall any of them having rolled ones. Believe me, that feature does not improve how a sax plays or how it’s pads seal; at least from my experience.

Both of my Conns are of the same vintage as the ones you’re considering. As vintage saxes I like them very much. But hey, vintage sax aficionados may be appalled, but I find that modern Taiwan-made saxes play better, can sound the same using great mouthpieces, and are available in near pristine condition often at 1/3 the cost of new.

As the first or second responder already said, the asking prices for those horns seems fair.

·
Registered
918 Posts
In your search for a 10M don't go much newer than what you're considering now. I had a later model 10M (which I think had left-side bell keys, if memory serves) that was no different from a shooting star. I sold it for $315 in 2004 to a guy who just wanted a 10M, maybe for status, and liked how it played.

Overall, right now I'd say old Conns are way over-priced. That's probably why these seem a pretty good deal. Some sellers are asking over three grand for older 10Ms. Not great as a player move, nor as an investor.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Your 10M is gone, unless you're the buyer. If I may presume to advise, on the 6M you may want to pass if investment is part of your strategy. But bagging that one at $600 or so would not be a bad move. If a late-50s or early 60s model needs work, forget it. Usually means the owner didn't think it was worth putting the money into; so why should you?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh well. No I'm not the buyer. I wasn't totally sold on buying it but the price was very tempting.

I'm now looking at a Tranny that has been relacquered and in fantastic shape. Has lady engraving that is very clear, new pads, no dings or dents(unlike the 10M I just lost). Also considering a purple logo 61 and a purple 62. I'm really on the fence about modern vs vintage and I've played both in the past.

So what Taiwan horns do you like? I had a Barone that felt weird to me so I sold it and it arrived at its destination with all the left pinky rods off the horn.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Check out Eastman, both their trendy finished rolled tonehole professional model and the non-rolled pro model, which someone here did a review of several years ago. They’re ridiculously list-priced but available used for maybe 40-50% less. That’s one beauty of Asian horns (for players, not people looking for appreciation).

Cannonball and Mauriat are also OK, but IMHO are presently riding a popularity wave with players who like trendy (sorry to over-use the term) finishes and engraving. I’ve played only a very limited number of them but really don’t think they should command premium prices, at least not based on their sound and feel.

I would like to add that my play level is what I would describe as intermediate. I’ve heard 19-year-old college music students who can run circles around me. So maybe I’m just not playing any horn to it’s fullest potential. But I have listened to a number of them.

As an aside, read Dave Kessler’s nearest-to-scientific study results on the effect of finishes on saxophone sound. This is from a dealer who could be hyping finishes but instead focuses on facts and clearly states why certain ones cost more. I honestly intend to buy one of his pro-level tenors, non-engraved in traditional lacquer, of course.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Oh, and I do, or at least I did, have my Conns for sale on Craig’s. They went fast! A local buyer asked me to hold them until he comes back from a wedding in the frigid north. Looks like a definite sale, because he’s played them a couple of times before. I don’t have permission to buy/sell here, and I only would sell vintage saxes locally, anyway. I would keep them another 10 years, but it’s time for me to pass things along.

I owned a 61 that I bought for $450 and had repadded for $400. That was the heaviest and dog-most saxophone I have ever owned and could not wait to get rid of it and ate a small loss. I bought a 62 brand new for $1,645 shipped from a Denmark seller and found it to be no better than a Monique Pro Series tenor that I picked up new for $530 on eBay six months later. That was my awakening to Taiwan horns. The 62 went down the road at cost, although I did buy another one later for quite a bit less (advertised as a Yohama, believe it or not). I keep it only because it’s cosmetics are poor; Yamaha’s with significant lacquer wear sell for very little.

Sorry to be writing so much here. I’m done. Good luck on the hunt!

·
Registered
918 Posts
I lied. One more thing to add since you seem interested in Japanese horns and search on Reverb.

There’s a Yanagisawa T991 there (in trendy black) advertised as “brand new” for $3,000. I’m thinking a player could buy that, play merrily for 5 years in perfect pitch and with great tone, then easily off-load it for $2,500. Yeah, there’s a few extra bucks tied up for awhile. But if that horn is really brand new it’s definitely under-priced compared to what I see offered now.

Again, good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
I don’t have permission to buy/sell here...
If you were a member prior to 2013, you have Marketplace privileges, regardless of your post count.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your contempt for the Yamaha horns is interesting to me because I've had a YTS 21,23,61,62 and 82 and they were all great. And before you ask, why did I sell them, it's because I'm the "George Costanza" of indecision when it comes to horns. Just ask me what other horns I've had.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
Your contempt for the Yamaha horns is interesting to me because I've had a YTS 21,23,61,62 and 82 and they were all great. And before you ask, why did I sell them, it's because I'm the "George Costanza" of indecision when it comes to horns. Just ask me what other horns I've had.
OK...

What other horns have you had?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts