Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked-up a used horn from a friend, who bought it from a friend, who bought is from a friend... and nobody for the last 20 years played it, that I know of and had a really hard time finding anyone who knew anything about this "ARTIST" Stencil... finally found Grant Koeller on All Experts and found out it's a 1957 SML Gold Medal Mark I Two-Tone "Artist" Stencil, SL # 15575 and 575 on the neck and quite collectable... plays GREAT, big fat sound.

So, is there anyone out there who can tell me more about this Tenor or point me in the right direction to who can... I have allready researched everything on the web and there's not much on the SML Stencils but everyone RAVES about them... I'm new to this so I don't know enough to know a good one from a bad one

Thanks,
Da Mick

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
You're welcome!
It'd be great to see some pics of your stencil. If only for others interest and further recording of these wonderful instruments and their various incarnations. The more we know the better!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it's a SML... my tech thinks it's a Keilwerth Stencil... I have pix posted on my profile... give a look and let me know what you think!!

Thanks!!
Da Mick

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
It's no SML, and I don't think it's a Keilwerth. It looks like a Malerne stencil to me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
983 Posts
i am pretty definite it is not an sml and i doubt its a keilwerth, possibly a marlerne?

the sml stencils all look like the other sml's and that does not really look anything like an sml (key guards, pink clusters etc...). the keilwerth stencils again all look similar and the pinky key touches on the right hand make me really doubt its a keilwerth.. also the keilwerth stencils that i have seen are stamped made in germany and have the "JK best in the world" stamp on the back as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
Malernes can be quite good - they seem to vary a lot in playing style, though. I had a Malerne stencil that had a really sweet and mellow tone, but others have reported having very different sounds. JayeSF on here knows a lot about them, and there is a sub-forum on them here: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/forumdisplay.php?231-Malerne

Check out the "time to ramp up the Malerne corner" thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts