Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1957 68xxx Mark 6 Tenor features a really dark gold, almost maroon finish which I had until today mostly found in horns that were assembled in the US, but this beauty hasn't got a neck with an engraved number and it has high-f#.
I guess the engraving is typical Paris style, but the colour.... Well, it's hard to catch the actual colour without a lot of Photoshop work, but at least I tried.

View attachment 246054 View attachment 246056 View attachment 246058

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Wow, that’s a beautiful horn! It is interesting because as you say that looks dark for a European VI. It does look like original lacquer from your pics, so maybe it just aged that way. What’s even more interesting is that it looks darker than my American engraved 74XXX from about the same era, which is original but what I call a “blondie.” In case you haven’t seen the pics I put up when it was for sale, here are a bunch of pictures in different lighting settings for you to compare with your horn. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13-yoNzuTzG2qFgOxxCFgUaqE2JpxwmUS

The VI tenors from 1957-1958 are awesome, I think they have a distinct charm that gets overlooked because everyone is preoccupied with Brecker serial numbers and SBA’s. I’m glad I decided to keep mine!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your comments, and, yes, Tranechaser, your Mark 6's lacquer looks very similar to what I see on my Mark 6. I had a 118xxx in the past (US assembled) that was better than any "Brecker vintage" Mark 6 that has ever come my way.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Douglas Piper (under that username) if you hive him your serial number can tell you all sorts of information about your sax, like where it was shipped to to be sold. Just send him a PM.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
To me the horn doesn't look right at all, but I would have to see a lot more of it to know. Plus, horns all age differently depending on everything that happened to them over a long time span. But since you are in D, all bets are off, and almost certainly it would have been finished in Paris for the Euro market. Whatever, it is a beauty!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's genuine, 1saxman, I know the history behind it: not many out there will remember Wilton Gaynair, a Jamaican jazz musician who came to Europe and lived in Germany. He played in Kurt Edelhagen Bigband in Cologne. This was his personal horn, and apart from the pics above there are some traces this horn is 60 years old.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
except he is called Douglas Pipher .....

Selmer offered custom engravings and this is one

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have French engraved 81k and 83k and both have a darker lacquer like yours, and about the same as my 113k American assembled horn. My 104k French-assembled horn has bright yellow lacquer (and silver keys).

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I almost bought a 1957 French engraving Mark VI alto from Long Beach Woodwind awhile ago. The engravings (and hue) in that horn were more consistent with what you would expect from French engraved VI's. Images are screen captures from the video clip they made for me.

From the GetASax website it appears that the engravings/hue in the OP are more consistent with British engraved VI's.

https://www.getasax.com/vintage-sel...t-2-euro-assembled-selmer-mark-vi-saxophones/

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Nothing odd about this lacquer color. My US assembled 59xxx looks the same.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Nothing odd about this lacquer color. My US assembled 59xxx looks the same.
US versions generally have darker lacquers compared to their Euro counterparts, which is what makes the Euro lacquered/engraved horn in the OP interesting (those are generally lighter).

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks so far. Douglas has not come back to me yet, but there is one interesting idea. When Wilton Gaynair came to Europe from Jamaica, he first went to London to work there in 1955. I have heard say that the Selmer horns that were shipped to England were structurally different from others, but at the moment I can't find any proof for that. If this is true, he might have bought this 1957 Mark 6 while staying in England.
Anyway, this is what I found about Wilton Gaynair:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilton_Gaynair

I found this album published in 2006 that was recorded in London in 1960. So it might be this horn that was played on this album:

https://www.amazon.com/Africa-Calling-WILTON-BOGEY-GAYNAIR/dp/B000E0W1MG

Along with the horn came a Florida Double Ring 7* with a serial number on the side that shows a faint "W" on the back of the table in the style of Wylton's hand-writing. I guess he engraved the mouthpiece with his initials. That Double Ring will be from the late 50s as well and might have been bought alongside the Mark 6. All very interesting.
I took a couple of additional pics this morning with more daylight, but it's really impossible to catch the right colour of the lacquer.
Anyway, this is very interesting and historical instrument that I'm very happy with, and I feel honoured to play it in the memory of Wilton Gaynair.

View attachment 246264 View attachment 246258 View attachment 246266 View attachment 246260 View attachment 246262

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It really plays great. I have another Mark 6 serial 66xxx. That one has no lacquer left at all, and I got a numbered 68xxx neck for it some years ago which really improved the sound. The 68xxx horn plays with a little more egde than the 66xxx which might be explained by the missing lacquer on the 66xxx. I love them both and will part with neither of them. I got the 66xxx about 10 years ago from Paul Heller of WDR Bigband, so it's a very personal horn as well. My third Selmer tenor is a US assembled SBA from 1952, and that one is a completely different horn: more lyrical and not as "direct" as the Mark 6s are. I love them all.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Listening to Africa Calling in iTunes right now. Winton could play! Thanks for the discovery.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts