Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 555xxx Conn and I'm not finding much info on it anywhere. I searched here and a couple other places. I'd guess it's from 55-56 based on their website, but any idea what it's worth? It has the shooting star engraving on the bell. It's has some oxidization and small dents, but has been in the case for years.

Thanks for any info on finding what it is and if it's worth anything!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,066 Posts
It’s probably a Director 1955.

The “ shooting star” is the least popular of all Conn saxophones. Right or wrong this is the market’s view.

They are basic, mostly used by students, saxophones and are not particularly noteworthy.

The ones made in USA (which yours should be) are just marginally more appreciated than the ones made in Mexico.

In the NL you can find the USA for €200, generally bought and overhauled by home based “ repairers” with cheap pads and sold at at the very most €500.

In the US this will be worth very little indeed and not worth an overhaul by a shop which charges $700 for one such procedure.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,423 Posts
I have a 555xxx Conn and I'm not finding much info on it anywhere. I searched here and a couple other places. I'd guess it's from 55-56 based on their website, but any idea what it's worth? It has the shooting star engraving on the bell. It's has some oxidization and small dents, but has been in the case for years.

Thanks for any info on finding what it is and if it's worth anything!
Welcome to SOTW.
Alto/14m or Tenor/16m ? The 14m or 16m will be stamped above the serial number.
Conn “Director” is actually correct the name, aka “Shooting Star”.
555xxx, any letters before the numbers ? If not, yes it’s about a 1955ish.
Highly underrated good players in current play/tune condition. I have two.
Your condition description loosely places worth as not much for alto or tenor at best.
What are your intentions? It’s worth putting some money into if you’re going to play but not to sell.

Do some looking here and get familiar to the forum.
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/forumdisplay.php?104-Conn

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,697 Posts
I have a 16M made in 1955 with a serial number of 565,xxx and no shooting stars engraving on the bell .

I wonder if your serial number actually starts with a 6 since it has the later engraving ?

I use a neck from a late 20's Pan American on it(also have the stock neck) and it sounds really great .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
That was the time period when Conn ended using PanAm as their second-shelf moniker. And started calling the PanAms the 14/16M Director.

Tryp, at first there was no Shooting star engraving, so yours is closer to the 'switch' date.

Stars appeared '56/7-ish.

As noted by others, valuations are fairly low although these are considered very good 'sleeper' horns.

So, as already noted, market value in neighborhood of $250/$125-ish for a 'project' 16M Tenor/14M Alto...and in good playing and physical shape around $600/400.

If you are interested in having it worked up and put into good playing shape and don't have a good tech locally, PM me. I love working up these horns.

These have the exact same body and neck specs as the 10M/6M Artist horns. So they sound the same, just more pared down keywork.

·
4,697 Posts
That was the time period when Conn ended using PanAm as their second-shelf moniker. And started calling the PanAms the 14/16M Director.

Tryp, at first there was no Shooting star engraving, so yours is closer to the 'switch' date.

Stars appeared '56/7-ish.

Well the OP says his is 555,xxx and mine is 565,xxx so I'm curious about why his would have the engraving,
and it made me think _maybe_ he got the first digit wrong . See what I mean ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
Ah, missed that...interesting.

They actually switched the serial sequence from the PanAm sequence BACK to the regular Conn sequence around then (member Badenia did great work collecting data on Pan Am serial numbers a while back). So the last PanAms switch back to a Conn sequence (this just an aside).

And I DO know that there are PanAms which I have seen which actually have higher serial #'s than Directors I have come across...so it may well be that at a certain point they were whipping out all 3 versions (PanAm, Conn plain engraving, Stars engraving).

Could also just be that they had bodies already fabricated and didn't grab 'em for assembly line in any particular numerical order at the factory (?)

or perhaps they still had some Pan Am distribution contracts left to fill.

I never actually bothered to pay attention to what the earliest Star engraved serial might be...that'd be interesting to know (for a Conn nerd, at least).

·
4,697 Posts
Ah, missed that...interesting.

They actually switched the serial sequence from the PanAm sequence BACK to the regular Conn sequence around then (member Badenia did great work collecting data on Pan Am serial numbers a while back). So the last PanAms switch back to a Conn sequence (this just an aside).

And I DO know that there are PanAms which I have seen which actually have higher serial #'s than Directors I have come across...so it may well be that at a certain point they were whipping out all 3 versions (PanAm, Conn plain engraving, Stars engraving).

Could also just be that they had bodies already fabricated and didn't grab 'em for assembly line in any particular numerical order at the factory (?)

or perhaps they still had some Pan Am distribution contracts left to fill.

I never actually bothered to pay attention to what the earliest Star engraved serial might be...that'd be interesting to know (for a Conn nerd, at least).
Interesting info.

But, at what point in the manufacturing process are you engraving the bells even if the body tubes were pre-stamped with
the serial numbers . Just thinking out loud .. not expecting you to have the answer to that particular query .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The engraving is what made me wonder, but it is definitely a 555xxx serial. I am a musician, but don't really have the lungs to play it or time to figure it out. Can post some pictures, maybe someone here will tell me what it's worth and I can just list it for sale here for a good price

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,066 Posts
you can’t list if for sale here before 6 months membership and 50 meaningful post.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,423 Posts
The engraving is what made me wonder, but it is definitely a 555xxx serial. I am a musician, but don't really have the lungs to play it or time to figure it out. Can post some pictures, maybe someone here will tell me what it's worth and I can just list it for sale here for a good price
Alto or Tenor?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts