Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried this tenor over the weekend which looked original to me in the photos but when looking at it up close I started to think it might be a relaquer.

Photos are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/uYF6GYidPdARAUKy7

The 3 or 4 photos at the end I are ones I took.

Just wondering what folks here think. Do you think this is a relaquer? To me it's hard to say, maybe, maybe not.

I also see there is a 1955 Mark VI relac for sale here for just over $8K. Is that a fair price for a relac? For the one above I was told that by someone who thought it was a relac that it would be more like $4-6K.

·
Registered
538 Posts
It looks like a relacquer to me, some of the fine engraving looks buffed and it has a coat of lacquer. Whatever, it's a rare horn, a transitional mkvi with the Sci on the octave lever, how does it play?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I played it for about 45 minutes. What I noticed was that it was free blowing, had good intonation, and the altissimo was easy to play. It had a dark sound which I like but not much bite or zing. I was using a dark reed though, a Hemke. When I tried a brighter reed, a D'addario Jazz Select, it was noticeably brighter so I went back to the Hemke. I've heard that the early Mark VI's are reminiscent of the SBA's and this horn seemed to meet that description. It seemed to lack volume for me though, compared to my Martin Committee which I played afterwards.

The seller wants 8K for it. I've heard that for relacs you should as a general rule deduct 25%. Would an original one in this condition go for 10K?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Just my personal opinion - I wouldn't pay $8K for a relac no matter how good it is or what serial number its from. A relac probably plays fine and is a good horn, but if you ever decide to sell it you will near no end of it from potential customers who won't pay more than $5K for a relac.

·
Registered
827 Posts
If it was a nice relaq, I could see it going for $8k. This one was buffed too much, the lacquer on it isn't a good looking color, and it has a lot of wear on it. So yes it's from a good vintage but won't command top dollar.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have one just like that. I think it's probably a re-lacquer because of the color and some finish details, mine is dark brown in color -- so is a '57 of mine, although most of the lacquer is gone on that one. I think the tube differences between my '54 and '57 are reflected in this horn too, due to where the G# pad is located in relation to the brace ring. My '54 is also on the darker side, and has a very even response through all registers. I've always assumed that the '54 is a SBA tube with Mark VI keys. For instance, the necks between the two are not interchangeable.

Depending on how much you like playing it, I'd say $8K is a decent price, that's what I paid for mine 3 years ago, even though it's original finish.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
As a reference I saw a 5 digit original lacquer, just overhauled and in like new condition with 90% lacquer in a store with an asking price of $10,500 a few weeks ago. That price sounds about right for such a desirable horn. If I recall correctly it was in the 87,xxx range.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I've decided to let this one go to someone else. The seller told me there was another buyer after me touring with a famous band in the NW who is very interested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts